Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good?

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #31  
From what I have read, the US tire manufacturers were generally bought out by overseas interests way back in the 1980s. Lots of contributing factors, but two big ones were the globalization of the auto industry and the world wide shift to radials. There is some reason to think the overseas manufacturers were more competitive in the 1980s, not primarily because of cheap labor, but more because they had new factories producing radials instead of old factories producing bias ply. Of course by now, a huge overlay of environmental regulation is likely inhibiting any possible investment and growth. Much of the US population appears happy to outsource industrial pollution to Asian locations and the jobs along with it.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #32  
Much of the US population appears happy to outsource industrial pollution to Asian locations and the jobs along with it.

Similar here.... many of the Canuck tire plants are gone.... Michelin may still be out East (NS).

I wouldn't call myself pro-pollution, but I am pro level-playing-field - there should be Global pollution standards for manufacturing - not holding my breath (pun intended) on that one, because then the "right" people wouldn't make the money they have been...

The last Cooper car tires I bought (CS4) were USA made.

Before I found out about Greenball tires, I was getting so fed up due to what I learned about ST tires that I was considering just buying P car tires - IMO you are further ahead with those P's than the ST junk that is out there. In that application I had constraints that wouldn't allow me to fit LT tires.

I think the reality is that if a manufacturer is shipping unsafe P tires into the USA, then the NHTSA will get involved PDQ. Garbage ST tires seem to get a free pass though - perhaps the NHTSA rationale is that they are less of a direct threat to life..... trying telling that to the guy in a compact car who is faced with somebody's 15k trailer suddenly going sideways into his oncoming lane !

With ST tires, there a small handful of decent product lines, amongst a market full of bad, or at the very least, not consistently good, offerings.

That's one of the reasons I hang out on TBN, to sort the wheat from chaff...

Rgds, D.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #33  
Similar here.... many of the Canuck tire plants are gone.... Michelin may still be out East (NS).

I wouldn't call myself pro-pollution, but I am pro level-playing-field - there should be Global pollution standards for manufacturing - not holding my breath (pun intended) on that one, because then the "right" people wouldn't make the money they have been...

The last Cooper car tires I bought (CS4) were USA made.

Before I found out about Greenball tires, I was getting so fed up due to what I learned about ST tires that I was considering just buying P car tires - IMO you are further ahead with those P's than the ST junk that is out there. In that application I had constraints that wouldn't allow me to fit LT tires.

I think the reality is that if a manufacturer is shipping unsafe P tires into the USA, then the NHTSA will get involved PDQ. Garbage ST tires seem to get a free pass though - perhaps the NHTSA rationale is that they are less of a direct threat to life..... trying telling that to the guy in a compact car who is faced with somebody's 15k trailer suddenly going sideways into his oncoming lane !

With ST tires, there a small handful of decent product lines, amongst a market full of bad, or at the very least, not consistently good, offerings.

That's one of the reasons I hang out on TBN, to sort the wheat from chaff...

Rgds, D.

I run Winterforce radials on my truck year around and they say on the sidewall, Made in Canada.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #34  
I run Winterforce radials on my truck year around and they say on the sidewall, Made in Canada.

I take my Winterforce tires off our old Civic in the summer. IIRC, those ones were made in Argentina.

I'm not sure where that Firestone plant is here....

Rgds, D.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #35  
They state on the sidewall (Product of Canada). No province however. A bit noisy on dry roads but I ignore it. Work excellent in mud and rain too.

Gonna do the Transit next week. I'll be PM'ing you. Weather has been poor here, cold and rainy.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good?
Had forgot about this thread so thought I would give an update on the Hi-Run tires. 2 of them had the cords come apart and were replaced in 2016. That was before I took this picture of the 3rd hi-run coming apart back in November 2019. Tires are ST235/85R16.

Attachments

• Hi_Run112019.jpg
    Hi_Run112019.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 120
   / Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #37  
Those are about like my Load Trail oem Gladiators, poor tires. One blew out while it was parked, 235/80x16 10 ply. I went back with Hercules 14 ply LT 235/85x16, made in Thailand. So far so good.

0605180551.jpg

0204191108.jpg

0411191331.jpg

0411191331a.jpg

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good?
I put that same 14 ply Hercules on my personal trailer and they have held up really well.

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #39  
Load Trail oem Gladiators.....trailer flat2.jpg

/ Hi-Run Trailer Tires Made In China. Are They Any Good? #40  
Due to the wonderful labor situation and tree huggers in this country, aren't most tires now made offshore anyway?????

Unfortunately, yes.