Hiccup in power trac plans

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #1  

Goose1776

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 2706e
Well. I do have a quote, and an agreement with Terry on a PowerTrac unit. Just trying to figure out if I’m picking it up, or having it shipped.

BUT, I may have found an issue with sharing attachments with my tractor.

I had hoped to use their blank plate, weld to an SSQA adapter I have, to use a grapple, and a tree puller on both machines.
But PT’s use of motor oil, rather than a hydraulic oil may be an issue, due to cross contamination from residual oil in lines when changing attachments.?
Has anyone else done this?

I would have asked Terry, but i just realized it today, on the weekend of course. LoL

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #2  
I have the same problem. I only change implements between Power Tracs. My Kubota has ultra expensive synthetic hyd oil. But if I had to interchange implements, I would change the hyd oil in the Power Trac to match the Kubota. I can't believe that the oil used in a high performance tractor would cause damage in at PT.

/ Hiccup in power trac plans
I have the same problem. I only change implements between Power Tracs. My Kubota has ultra expensive synthetic hyd oil. But if I had to interchange implements, I would change the hyd oil in the Power Trac to match the Kubota. I can't believe that the oil used in a high performance tractor would cause damage in at PT.

That’s what I’m thinking as well.
I would ask Terry about it before I would do anything,
Or. I just won’t be switching hydraulic implements back and forth

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #4  
I moved to synthetic motor oil awhile back. No change. I wouldn't go changing the PT oil to single weight oil. I talked to Terry at the time about oils, but I encourage you to check with him.

A few random thoughts: Most hydraulic oil is on the order of 30W, which will definitely impact cold weather performance. I have been told of long warm up times required for some tractors and skid steers using hydraulic oils. The upside to requiring the long warm up is that you have similar performance from the hydraulic system under all conditions, as the oil is always the same viscosity.

I am not sure that the PT system is designed to dump enough heat for that to be a good assumption, I.e. I think it can't dump enough heat to keep 30W oil in specification, even if you were willing to wait, nor do I think it can handle starting with cold single viscosity oil.(see below)

The PT really depends on multi weight oil to be able to charge the variable volume pump when cold, (thin enough to be suction filtered into the charge pump without cavitation and damage), and still have sufficient viscosity when everything is hot. I recommend looking at oil viscosity vs. temperature tables.

Now I personally believe that a few quarts of hydraulic oil isn't going to measurably affect the PT performance, unless it is really high weight oil. Whether the skid steer is so tolerant, I don't know. If you keep switching, you are going to end up with a 50:50 mix of hydraulic oil and motor oil, and I am sure neither machine will be at its best.

So, I think that if you plan on doing once, you might get away with it. Routinely...I doubt the two machines would be happy, and I really think that the PT would not do well on single viscosity oil. Just my $0.02

I would talk to Terry.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #5  
I don't know if you are aware, but Power Trac uses commerically available off-the-shelf hydraulic components. Motors can be brand X, pumps brand Y, valves brand Z. I would think for all the different manufacturers to agree on the exact same types of oil, that being only 15w-40 motor oil is doubtful. Most modern tractors have components made by the manufacturer or to their exact specifications and are very specific on oil needs. I wouldn't contaminate your tractor's hydraulic system especially if it is some type of power-shift transmission. The beauty of the Power Trac is their simplicity. If a hydrostatic drive Kubota can operate in below freezing temps with little warm up with their synthetic oil, I would be comfortable using it in a PT. But to be safe don't mix attachments.
Besides all that, once you start using the PT, you won't want to use your tractor anyhow.

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #6  
Hook up input hose on implement, put out hose in bucket, run till you think all the wrong stuff is pumped out, put fitting back on then connect. At least that's what I do in these situations, but I don't have either one of those machines.

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #7  
Well. I do have a quote, and an agreement with Terry on a PowerTrac unit. Just trying to figure out if I’m picking it up, or having it shipped.

BUT, I may have found an issue with sharing attachments with my tractor.

I had hoped to use their blank plate, weld to an SSQA adapter I have, to use a grapple, and a tree puller on both machines.
But PT’s use of motor oil, rather than a hydraulic oil may be an issue, due to cross contamination from residual oil in lines when changing attachments.?
Has anyone else done this?

I would have asked Terry, but i just realized it today, on the weekend of course. LoL

Which Power Trac model did you end up going with?

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #8  
Hook up input hose on implement, put out hose in bucket, run till you think all the wrong stuff is pumped out, put fitting back on then connect. At least that's what I do in these situations, but I don't have either one of those machines.

18gpm at 3000psi. Uh uh. That’s not going to happen.

/ Hiccup in power trac plans #10  
18gpm at 3000psi. Uh uh. That’s not going to happen.
Lol. Do you have to do it at WOT and full flow?? On my excavator I do it idle and then ease into aux flow until the output seems fast enough.....