Hitch ball / coupler near disaster

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I have constant problems with my hitch ball / coupler connections. No matter how I seem to manipulate the coupler latch device, the coupler does NOT want to come free of the ball as I jack the trailer up to disconnect. This is an ongoing problem and it nearly caused a disaster.

I brought a 4,000 lb load of gravel home using my dump trailer. Put blocks down, then tried to jack it using the hand crank. What a joke-- no chance. To make it worse it was on a slight side incline and I was on the downhill side. Got my floor jack to "help it" go up while I cranked. But then the coupler latch got hung up and the ball would not release. Instead of separating, the rear of my pickup truck started going up along with the trailer tongue as I jacked.

As I must do frequently when disconnecting, I got a pipe and pried the coupler latch upward a tiny additional amount, and all hell broke lose. The coupler/ball broke free, the rear of the truck rose further, the tongue shifted sideways, my blocks collapsed due to the sideways motion, and everything came crashing down. It was very close to almost landing on my leg and foot and I realized how stupid I was to be on the downhill side of something on a bind.

Is there some magic to couplers and balls? Before jacking I lift the coupler latch up and slide a pin in to hold it up. There is a special pin slot seemingly designed just for that. But it always seems to "hang up" and then I need to whack the coupler latch a bit more or pry it to get it to separate.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #2  
How much tongue weight did you have on this truck?

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #3  
Coupler might be bent so that the ball isn't free to release even when it is supposed to release. Stamped steel couplers seem more prone to this.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #4  
There is a slight socket in the front part of the coupler. If there is forward pull on the ball, the coupler must move forward slightly, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch in relation to the ball, in order to lift off the ball. This can be hard to do with a heavy trailer. I've had to reverse a few inches sometimes to get the coupler off the ball. Maybe block a trailer tire and put the truck in reverse, then start your uncoupling routine.

Bruce

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #5  
Only have this with my enclosed trailer and I find it simpler to pull my receiver pin and then drive forward a foot.

I must have found the sweet spot because it just slides out...

I know a few that tow a lot and they keep everything greased... saying it helps.

Some hitches are more forgiving... the bulldog on the horse trailer has never been a issue with the clamshell design...

I'm glad you were able to avoid disaster...

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #6  
I will put the jack down to bgin pushing trailer up off ball, then move truck forward slightly to relieve pressure, then jack willlift trailer easily.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #7  
Is there some magic to couplers and balls? Before jacking I lift the coupler latch up and slide a pin in to hold it up. There is a special pin slot seemingly designed just for that. But it always seems to "hang up" and then I need to whack the coupler latch a bit more or pry it to get it to separate.
First, glad you're okay.

Second, maybe you're describing something different than all of my trailers (which are only 3k - 7k lb.), but usually the latch lever or screw pulls up on a pawl that grabs the bottom of the ball from the rear, with the socket of the hitch capturing the front of the ball. When released, this pawl travels down and aft, which is what allows the hitch to lift off the ball.

But lifting the latch or hand screw up would keep the pawl engaged on the bottom of the ball, and not allow it to release. Are you sure this isn't what you're doing, by holding it up or sliding a pin into it?

As already noted, popping the tow vehicle into neutral and letting it coast 1/2 inch after blocking the trailer tires often helps relieve whatever tension is on the coupler.

A picture of what you're describing might help.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #8  
A picture of what you're describing might help.
Right!!! There are a thousand different couplers.

My favorite type of couplers are the Bulldog Clam Shell couplers. Once locked down, they don't come off. And once the side is popped open, it will come off.

I usually start jacking until the trailer starts pulling the pickup up a little bit, then climb onto the bumper and jump up and down a couple of times. If everything is set right, it breaks the coupler loose every time. And in your case, you'll largely be out of the pinch zone.

Life isn't always flat. Make sure you have some good wheel chocks.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #9  
No magic, but like anything mechanical, they are not all created equal and even the best can wear out with use. What you're describing definitely is not the way that it should operate. It may need to be rebuilt or replaced or at the very least adjusted. You shouldn't need a pin to hold the latch up. The pin is a safety device used to hold the latch in place when it's down. A picture would help.

/ Hitch ball / coupler near disaster #10  
If this is what your coupler looks like, pulling up on the handle, or putting something under it, after it is vertical, will tighten the underjaw against the ball.

coupler-diagram.jpg

Bruce