hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder
hey thanks, always a better deal out yonder but given the market & budget, will give stickmate a try.
if i had to make a living arc welding, i'd starve. for now, glad for the upgrade over the old school lincoln best regards

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #13  
I attended their school maybe 10 or so years ago and they taught Oxy first.

Where you went to school was Hobart Bros. Company no longer exists, bought by ITW slime holding company importer.

When you went to school in Troy did you learn OxyFuel first? Hobart Bros was famous fer teachin O/F first.

hey great. am sure the school has changed through the years. they well may have taught oxy back when... attended in '70 right out of college. remember my main experience w/the torch was my 1st job. their basic & pipe welding arc classes were outstanding. thanks for note
anxious to try out the stickmate when it arrives

Last edited:
   / hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #15  
I went through the same questions about which welder to get, years ago. I researched here and found the Stickmate to be a favorite for my needs, which are similar to yours. I tried to find a used one for months, but the only ones I found (and there were very few) were selling close to new price. I gave up looking for used and bought a new one, and it's been a great welder.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #16  
If a guy has work to do it's not worth waiting over the difference in price. Used is good if a guy stumbles over one and they often come with extra stuff which can be well worth it. It helps if a guy has good luck with that type of thing.
They work so well and so economical that it's not a big deal. I like 3 rods. 1/8 6011, 3/32 7018 and 1/8 7018.

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #17  
More later.

Attachments

• Lincoln leads.JPG
    Lincoln leads.JPG
    721 KB · Views: 129
  • lead out door.JPG
    lead out door.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 120
  • lead bench.JPG
    lead bench.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 116
  • doors lead.JPG
    doors lead.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 121
   / hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #18  
hey thanks, always a better deal out yonder but given the market & budget, will give stickmate a try.
if i had to make a living arc welding, i'd starve. for now, glad for the upgrade over the old school lincoln best regards
You will find a DC Stickmate a big improvement over an AC buzzer. Get 3 electrodes, 1/8 6011, 3/32 7018 and 1/8 7018. I havnt metered the Hobarts settings, my red one is really hot. But 92A for the 11 and the small 18 and about 115 for the 1/8 7018. I realize there are LOTS of other rods in the world but a guy can do it with these and all we stock anymore.
Something else to consider here is,,, they make bigger machines but not really better. I run mine next to my Maxstar, a Synch and whatever the machines was at a power house I was on at the time I bought it and if you couldnt see or hear it wouldnt be able to tell them apart with the stinger end with general fab work. The Max has a safty start feature makes restarts a bit touchier but I give the buzzer as good or better mark than the Max. They are really really good and run way past their rated duty cycle.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the comment. the upgrade over the Lincoln buzz is remarkable. i'll look into 3/32 7018...so far on utility ag repairs, i'll burn a hot 6011 root pass, grind, then go w/7018, thanks again, i can only give rave reviews of this new Hobart machine. hey, i'm a graduate of their school, it only makes sense. (but as i mention earlier, if i were making a living at it, i'd starve)
i endured decades with the Lincoln tombstone and MF TO 35 tractor. the Hobart welder & my Kubota utility tractor have made retirement a cakewalk. along w/other tools acquired through the years to get the job done thx again
cheers

/ hobart stickmate ac/dc arc welder #20  
One thing an old Tombstone is good for is getting fishing worms out of the grass on a damp evening............ (y)