Home weather station suggestions

/ Home weather station suggestions #121  
I love the simplicity of the solid state Tempest style weather stations, but my neighbor has one that despite many updates is wildly off from ours, and from other nearby stations. Wind speed, rainfall are all different. I keep hoping it will improve, but in the interim, I am sticking with Davis.

Like @bdhsfz6, I did the rain cone update as well, and it made a big difference in accuracy for us as well. (1-2% range)

All the best,

Peter

/ Home weather station suggestions #122  
The AcuRite 5-in-1 has adjustment screws for the rain gauge. AcuRite provides instructions on how to drip a measured quantity of water while counting the tips (can be heard).

Those bellyaching about 6-9°F hotter readings in the sun do not have a functioning fan. If it works the fan can be heard in almost any light. Mine gets full of cobwebs a couple times per year requiring cleaning of both the fan and the rain sensor teeter-totter.

Having said that, I now have a Tempest.

/ Home weather station suggestions #123  
I love the simplicity of the solid state Tempest style weather stations, but my neighbor has one that despite many updates is wildly off from ours, and from other nearby stations. Wind speed, rainfall are all different. I keep hoping it will improve, but in the interim, I am sticking with Davis.
If all Tempest behaved that way then no one would buy and keep one.

My Tempest is mounted 15' from the AcuRite 5-in-1 and reports very similar results. Also in agreement with others of various makes within a mile.

... until the temperature/humidity board in the AcuRite failed due to corrosion. Cleaned it up, soldered some damaged traces, worked for a few hours. Haven't bothered again. Part is $15 from AcuRite, $10 to ship, or $10 for the part, $15 to ship. Still measures rain and wind speed.