Homebrew shingle lifts?

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #1  

2manyrocks

Some friends are going to Poplar, Montana this summer on a mission trip that involves putting on 33 squares of shingles on a building that stands about 12' off the ground. The site is said to be level. It would be difficult to haul a commercial shingle lift out there. Not sure if there's a place to rent one there or if they can have them lifted on the roof by the supplier.

My concern is that they'll get out there and start carrying them up the ladder bundle by bundle unless this is thought out in advance.

There are some wooden shingle lifts on You tube. One uses a electric hoist from HF. Another used a block and tackle. Another guy used his loader.

Does anybody have some suggestions for how they can get those shingles on the roof without carrying them up a ladder? Something they can fabricate on site if it comes to it?

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #2  
Have the shingles delivered and specify a boom truck!
That way they place them on the roof 4 you.
Just spread the bundles around a bit so as not to overload one spot.
Some booms will go 120'.

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #3  
It should be very easy. When they order the shingles specify that they must be placed on the roof when delivered. It is common practice around here.
If the supplier won't put them on the roof, call another one.

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #4  
The "cantilever shingle jack " on Youtube is pretty simple and effective. (And clever)
"A Backsaver Device" is also very good.
Either idea should be workable on a 12' roof.

/ Homebrew shingle lifts?
Will ask if boom truck delivery is available in Poplar.

In addition to the Poplar, Montana project this summer, my friends are also working on the roof of a local pregnancy help center. They got a good "cash and carry" deal on 30 year shingles for the roof, but no boom truck delivery. They've already done about half the center's roof, but if there is some way to knock together a quick "lift" to get the rest of the shingles on the roof this coming Saturday, that would be an immediate help. The center's roof is also about 10-12' off the ground.

If we can figure out how to build a workable lift here locally, then they can do it again this summer at the Poplar project.

The youtube version that I like best so far for it's ingenuity is the "gravity powered shingle shuttle," except I'm afraid somebody would get hurt riding it back down. I looked at the ones Tig mentioned. The cantilever one looks like something you'd build to throw shingles on people trying to break into your castle. :laughing:

There's a couple more Youtube versions including some guys using a kid's wagon on a ramp.

I've never used a rope and pulley to do any lifting, but am curious what kind of rope and pulley would be needed to lift 80-90 lbs bundle of shingles up an 15 degree incline to a 12 or so foot height?

More ideas?

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #7  
You might also look into renting a shingle lift for the day. Probably run $100 or so, but it would be worth keeping someone from falling off the ladder with a bundle of shingles.

Aaron Z

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #8  
The cantilever one looks like something you'd build to throw shingles on people trying to break into your castle...

:laughing: Good one!
I favour the cantilever because it's simpler and does not involve climbing the ladder once for each bundle. I think it would be quicker to build and use. I also think if you braced it off the roof you could make it even simpler and more stable. It really doesn't need to pivot around. It just needs to lift.
One guy loading (if the pile is close), two guys lifting and two guys on the roof to distribute and you would move a lot of shingles quickly.

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #9  
Some friends are going to Poplar, Montana this summer on a mission trip

Ive never known ANY mission trip that didnt include a "kid" to adult ratio of at least 1 to 1.

in that case homebrew shingle lift consists of a sturdy well attached ladder and instructions to the 3 most able bodied kids to move that stack of shingles from there <------ to up there ^^.

extra ration of hotdogs at lunch to the kid who carries the most, and im counting!

and GO!

/ Homebrew shingle lifts? #10  
A rope and a long plank to slide the singles up on.:thumbsup: