Homemade edge tamers

/ Homemade edge tamers #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I started this project last winter, but put it on the shelf when spring came....and summer.... and fall....
I figured I better get them done before we get snow... I don't want to dig up all the gravel again!

Found some 3/8" x4" plate, angled up the front and put a piece of solid square stock as a "catch" for the bucket edge. There is an existing hole on each side of the bucket where a tooth bar bolts, so put a side plate on the 'tamer' to bolt it to the bucket. Still have a bit of cutting, drilling, and painting to do, but they should be done tomorrow.

A few pics:
C6794A47-2AF6-4DC7-97DA-A59540D731B6.jpegAD218373-C395-488D-9362-C0B36ACE1ABB.jpeg

And one of a trial fit-up:
2C2A5105-E1E5-40E0-BE6F-B8997FEF2773.jpeg

I forgot how many years it's been since welding ..... the welds show it for sure! ....but paint hides a multitude of imperfections!

/ Homemade edge tamers #2  
They look good to me!

Good job. Welding is a transitory skill, but the basics usually stay with you.

/ Homemade edge tamers
They look good to me!

Good job. Welding is a transitory skill, but the basics usually stay with you.
I just couldn't get in the groove..... too much spatter, and my hands aren't as steady..... I guess I'm pretty good at grinding.......

/ Homemade edge tamers #4  
I admire your perseverance. I started a set myself but after a couple years of intermittent starts I just bought the actual Edge Tamer. Besides saving the driveway it should increase the life of the bucket.

/ Homemade edge tamers
I admire your perseverance. I started a set myself but after a couple years of intermittent starts I just bought the actual Edge Tamer. Besides saving the driveway it should increase the life of the bucket.
That's what I'm hoping for. Every time I pushed the snow, no matter how 'careful', piles get taken off the drive. I just needed to find my motivation to finish them.

/ Homemade edge tamers #6  
They look good. Like the design using to toothbar mounting hole. Haven’t seen that before. Looks like you still could bolt thru the bucket cutting edge too.

My welding skills are definitely variable too. Get better near the end of a project. Glad that didn’t stop you. Your edge tamers should work great!

/ Homemade edge tamers
I thought about using the cutting edge hole, but then there would be a bolt dragging on the bottom. I also thought about welding a carriage bolt to the tamer to use the edge hole.... but it would interfere with how the tamer catches the front lip.

/ Homemade edge tamers #8  
Edge tamers come two ways. Clamp on and bolt on. The bolt on variety has two bottom plates welded together with slots to bolt thru. The bottom plate has larger slot to recess the bolt head. I even think they are casting some models instead of using plate steel.

I like your design. Clean edge and custom built to your bucket. Please report back on how well they perform. We get good inspiration from folks like you. I want to make some too someday.

/ Homemade edge tamers
They are done and mounted! Now just waiting for some snow to try them out! I did try them "dry" on the driveway.... no gravel out of place... yippee!

C0C06432-518E-4D2D-AB97-1C1F73E972E4.jpeg6E744D5E-2545-4C8B-97BB-49A84045F808.jpeg
Didn't have any black paint, but then I thought red would help me see them and not smash a shin into them.... that would hurt!

/ Homemade edge tamers #10  
Nice job, looks like they should work very well !

I bought actual Edge Tamers for tractor front loader last year and they work excellent, I highly recommend them.

Hoping to try building a set for my 72 inch rear snowblower this winter.