Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I am getting prepared to build a pole barn and have done searches on TBN for homemade FEL boom poles without much luck. I do not weld, so I am looking for pics of boom poles constructed with lumber. I plan on using it to set the trusses. I have an idea how to build it but pics of completed ones go a long way. Show me what ya got. Thanks.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #2  
If you're going to lift anything heavy find someone to weld something for you. By the time you get something stout enough to hold anything of weight you'll eat up your available lifting capacity. How made mine was with 1 2x2 8ft length of 120 steel tubing and 1 2 - 3/8 x 4ft pipe. Welded together. Slip over hay spike and chain to frame. Able to lift steel trusses for barn. Only caveat is to not exceed the capacity of your hay spike.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #3  
We made a boom pole for a 580C backhoe one time out of a piece of pipe and a piece of plate. Welded the plate to the end of the pipe and bolted it to the bottom of the bucket. Then took chain binders to each corner of the bucket for lateral bracing. Set over 50 trusses that way. not much welding involved.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics
RPW said:
If you're going to lift anything heavy find someone to weld something for you. By the time you get something stout enough to hold anything of weight you'll eat up your available lifting capacity. How made mine was with 1 2x2 8ft length of 120 steel tubing and 1 2 - 3/8 x 4ft pipe. Welded together. Slip over hay spike and chain to frame. Able to lift steel trusses for barn. Only caveat is to not exceed the capacity of your hay spike.

It will be just for trusses on a 30 foot wide pole barn. When I was younger we just carried them while climbing up the wall grits and set them. They only weigh 100 to 200 lbs at most if I remember correctly.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #5  
Whats the wall height? How big are the trusses? What's the lift capacity of your tractor. I've seen people strap boom poles to the inside of bucket.

Wedge

wedge40 said:
Whats the wall height? How big are the trusses? What's the lift capacity of your tractor. I've seen people strap boom poles to the inside of bucket.

Wedge

12 foot walls, 30 foot span, 1259lbs lift at full height.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #8  
I am getting prepared to build a pole barn and have done searches on TBN for homemade FEL boom poles without much luck. I do not weld, so I am looking for pics of boom poles constructed with lumber. I plan on using it to set the trusses. I have an idea how to build it but pics of completed ones go a long way. Show me what ya got. Thanks.

Take a look at posts #83 and #84 in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/27976-jims-pole-barn-project-hopefully.html You can see what we rigged up to lift the trusses for my 30x48x10. It worked real well. I even changed the end of it out and made a platform to lift the shingles up to the roof - I wasn't able to be there when they delivered so they just set them in the driveway.

/ Homemade fel mounted boom pole, need pics #10  
Jwstewar,

I can see your thread but I can't view the pics??
What happened when you clicked the links for the pictures?

On Windows computers, if you hold down the "Ctrl" key and click the picture or link, it will open in a new tab.

They opened for me.
330004-MVC-132F.JPG 330011-MVC-133F (1).JPG