Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe

/ Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe #1  

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Since nobody currently offers a ripper for my RK24, I decided to whip up my own.

:dance1::2cents:

Fabbed the ripper tooth Monday night. Fabbed the mount and welded everything up last night.
Have less than $150 in it.

Video: Homemade Root Ripper - YouTube

20190513_121553.jpg
20190514_234745.jpg

20190514_234752.jpg
20190514_234804.jpg

20190514_234819.jpg
20190514_234825.jpg

/ Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe #3  
Where did you get the DOM tubing for the mounting pins?

/ Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe
   / Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe #5  
Looks great!

/ Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe #7  
Thanks for the link. Turns out there's one near my daughter and I had no idea. Apparently I've been looking in all the wrong places for DOM tubing.

/ Homemade Root Ripper For Backhoe #8  
Nice!

I have a dumb question based on my digging up my first stump with my new to me backhoe- do you use a regular bucket to remove the dirt above the roots so you can get to them, then switch to the root ripper? Or is this for plants with shallow roots?

Nice!

I have a dumb question based on my digging up my first stump with my new to me backhoe- do you use a regular bucket to remove the dirt above the roots so you can get to them, then switch to the root ripper? Or is this for plants with shallow roots?

All of the above. A bucket is still usually needed to dig around the stump, but these smaller hoes just don't have the power to rip up the bigger stumps. The ripper acts to concentrate the force along a single edge to break bigger roots. Once the roots are broken, the stump and roots can be dug up with either the ripper or bucket, whatever works best. All depends on the situation.

Gave it a quick test last night on a Ø2" root out back. Snapped it like a wee toothpick. I'm out of stumps to rip out on my own property, but I have friends lined up that want some removed, so I'll have to wait to really test the ripper until I can get to their places.