Homestead Implements Grapple

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #11  
I purchased a landscape rake from Homestead Implements about 2 months ago. Everything went smooth. They were responsive to both email and phone call questions which these days is rare.
I have contacted both cutthat.com about their SABRE SAMURAI CUTTER, and also Woodmaxx.com about their flail mower, neither of those companies responded to my inquiry.

The Homestead Implements rake arrived well packaged, undamaged, assembled, and had no missing parts (4 for 4), unlike the Titan rake I ordered which was 0 for 4.
I wouldn't say the rake is anything special, but it met my expectations where others did not. It's just a rake with normal steel, not AR steel like they use in their grapples which I've also been looking at.

We had a hurricane blow through here a few months ago, we lost about 40 pine trees. I used my pallet forks to move the debris, and while a grapple would have been easier, it would probably have taken me 3x the trips. I was able to load the forks really well, and couldn't have carried as many logs per trip with the grapple. At a 1/2 mile round trip from back to front, that would have added a lot of time, so I've pushed off the grapple for now. (a grapple would have been easier for the cut up tree tops, but not the logs in my situation)

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #12  
JCoastie have you seen the add on grapples for pallet forks?

Grapple on pallet forks - Image Search

PF-45-.jpg
Adjustable Grapple.jpg

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #13  
Xfaxman, I have but hadn't really considered them, maybe I should.

Come to think of it, changing between a forks & grapple and forks & add-on grapple, the full SSQA grapple seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier.
a 60 second process vs a much harder process.

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #14  
Does anyone have a Homestead Implements root grapple? Just looking for input on these grapples from people who own them. Thanks!

Root Grapple Pinnacle Series - Homestead Implements

What did you end up buying?

I have been considering the Homestead Grapple as an alternate to the EA Wicked Grapple myself. The Homestead uses AR450 hardox steel for the tines, and I thought it may be a good value / quality alternative to the EA Wicked with a better lead time. They were also offering 5% off, which made the price of their 60" grapple inline with the Wicked 55". But when I went to order, the 5% off was no longer available. Bummer. So I haven't ordered yet. Both companies have been responsive to questions. As much as I like the EA Wicked Grapple, the 60" grapple is $2650, which is more than I care to spend for a grapple. I like the design and AR400 steel of the Wicked, but I can't see $650 dollars to go from 55" to 60". I know the 60 has thicker steel and a third hinge, but thats a significant price increase. With a ten week lead time, I guess EA is having no trouble selling them at that price. If I don't find something else, I guess I'm either going with the Homestead 60" or the EA Wicked 55". Haven't seen much out there from people who have the Homestead grapple. There are lots of reviews on the EA Wicked. That's worth something, but 10 weeks lead time is a bit much.

/ Homestead Implements Grapple
What did you end up buying?

I have been considering the Homestead Grapple as an alternate to the EA Wicked Grapple myself. The Homestead uses AR450 hardox steel for the tines, and I thought it may be a good value / quality alternative to the EA Wicked with a better lead time. They were also offering 5% off, which made the price of their 60" grapple inline with the Wicked 55". But when I went to order, the 5% off was no longer available. Bummer. So I haven't ordered yet. Both companies have been responsive to questions. As much as I like the EA Wicked Grapple, the 60" grapple is $2650, which is more than I care to spend for a grapple. I like the design and AR400 steel of the Wicked, but I can't see $650 dollars to go from 55" to 60". I know the 60 has thicker steel and a third hinge, but thats a significant price increase. With a ten week lead time, I guess EA is having no trouble selling them at that price. If I don't find something else, I guess I'm either going with the Homestead 60" or the EA Wicked 55". Haven't seen much out there from people who have the Homestead grapple. There are lots of reviews on the EA Wicked. That's worth something, but 10 weeks lead time is a bit much.

I ended up going with EA. I originally placed an order with Homestead for their 72" and ended up canceling the order. There were a few things I just wasn't feeling after the order was placed. So, I went with my gut feeling. I ordered a 60" from EA. Thicker steel, bottom tines are thicker/stronger, the entire grapple is made from AR450 steel and DOM tubing, which is entirely stronger than Homestead. Also having the 3rd hinge and all pivot points are serviceable (able to be grease). I also wasn't too keen on the fact Homestead is using clevis and lynch pins because assembly is "easier", from what I was told. I'm sure Homestead is a great grapple and probably would've served me well, but when I was already spending this kind of money on a grapple I don't want to have to worry about it. EA is proven and their staff is extremely knowledgable with anything you have questions on. I've got a couple weeks left before mine ships from EA. When you're spending $2k-$3k on something, what's another $600 is what I figured. Buy once and be done. IF you ever have an issue, I've also seen them fix the problem almost fixed immediately.

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #16  
I ended up going with EA...
..I went with my gut feeling. I ordered a 60" from EA. Thicker steel, bottom tines are thicker/stronger, the entire grapple is made from AR450 steel and DOM tubing.. ..Also having the 3rd hinge and all pivot points are serviceable (able to be grease).. ..when I was already spending this kind of money on a grapple I don't want to have to worry about it. EA is proven and their staff is extremely knowledgable with anything you have questions on. ..When you're spending $2k-$3k on something, what's another $600 is what I figured. Buy once and be done. IF you ever have an issue, I've also seen them fix the problem almost fixed immediately.

Exactly what my thoughts were.

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #17  
I ended up going with EA. I originally placed an order with Homestead for their 72" and ended up canceling the order. There were a few things I just wasn't feeling after the order was placed. So, I went with my gut feeling. I ordered a 60" from EA. Thicker steel, bottom tines are thicker/stronger, the entire grapple is made from AR450 steel and DOM tubing, which is entirely stronger than Homestead. Also having the 3rd hinge and all pivot points are serviceable (able to be grease). I also wasn't too keen on the fact Homestead is using clevis and lynch pins because assembly is "easier", from what I was told. I'm sure Homestead is a great grapple and probably would've served me well, but when I was already spending this kind of money on a grapple I don't want to have to worry about it. EA is proven and their staff is extremely knowledgable with anything you have questions on. I've got a couple weeks left before mine ships from EA. When you're spending $2k-$3k on something, what's another $600 is what I figured. Buy once and be done. IF you ever have an issue, I've also seen them fix the problem almost fixed immediately.

Thanks, you probably made the right choice. Interesting that you didn't feel right and went with your gut. Usually that's the best indicator!

All of these reasons are what I have been considering as well. Still haven't pulled the trigger, but I am leaning toward the EA. I get the "whats another $600", and I use that justification at times myself for MANY purchases. But it is real, it's still $650 dollars. I don't mind paying more if it's truly worth it. The same debate went into my tractor purchase. Everything has a value...and that value can be up to the individual. You do mention some key differences that are difference makers and may justify the price difference. I do like that the entire grapple is AR450, and it is thicker steel. I also like the weight to strength ratio.

Not too much user feedback on the Homestead stuff that I have found, so I will likely have to dig deeper and go the EA route. If I can wait 10 weeks!

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #18  
Thanks, you probably made the right choice. Interesting that you didn't feel right and went with your gut. Usually that's the best indicator!

All of these reasons are what I have been considering as well. Still haven't pulled the trigger, but I am leaning toward the EA. I get the "whats another $600", and I use that justification at times myself for MANY purchases. But it is real, it's still $650 dollars. I don't mind paying more if it's truly worth it. The same debate went into my tractor purchase. Everything has a value...and that value can be up to the individual. You do mention some key differences that are difference makers and may justify the price difference. I do like that the entire grapple is AR450, and it is thicker steel. I also like the weight to strength ratio.

Not too much user feedback on the Homestead stuff that I have found, so I will likely have to dig deeper and go the EA route. If I can wait 10 weeks!

I was very much in the same dilemma as you both about 8 weeks ago. I looked at Homestead, MTL, EA, RK, and others. I ended up ordering the EA 60" Wicked after I spoke with Travis. Now I am *ahem* patiently waiting for it to be delivered.

I struggled with jumping to the 60" vs. the 55" for the $$$ difference. Ultimately what pushed me to the 60" was a youtube video I watched where someone on a smaller tractor than mine was working the 55" and I saw flex in the lid. I just felt that having that middle hinge with my 50hp tractor would help. I want to buy once, and be done! The 55" worked great for the guy in the video, I don't mean to say otherwise.

I have nothing negative to add about any of the other brands I mentioned, I thought VERY hard about the Homestead Root Grapple, I even had it sitting in my "cart"... just never pulled the trigger, ultimately I thought the bottom tine design of the EA may be stronger than the Homestead. I could be completely wrong on that assumption, I only viewed each via pictures on the internet after all.

I also thought the RK Granite would be a very nice grapple, they recommend the G72 for my tractor, which is around 100lbs heavier than the Wicked 60", 540lbs RK/400lbs EA, and about the same price, $2,699.99 for the RK vs. $2,65.00 for the EA.

There seems to be a lot of tractor owners on here that swear by whatever brand they've bought, and I think that is great. Maybe I would have been happy with any of the others I mentioned, I really hope I'm happy with the EA 60". Did I mention I'm patiently waiting for it?!

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #19  
I was very much in the same dilemma as you both about 8 weeks ago. I looked at Homestead, MTL, EA, RK, and others. I ended up ordering the EA 60" Wicked after I spoke with Travis. Now I am *ahem* patiently waiting for it to be delivered.

I struggled with jumping to the 60" vs. the 55" for the $$$ difference. Ultimately what pushed me to the 60" was a youtube video I watched where someone on a smaller tractor than mine was working the 55" and I saw flex in the lid. I just felt that having that middle hinge with my 50hp tractor would help. I want to buy once, and be done! The 55" worked great for the guy in the video, I don't mean to say otherwise.

I have nothing negative to add about any of the other brands I mentioned, I thought VERY hard about the Homestead Root Grapple, I even had it sitting in my "cart"... just never pulled the trigger, ultimately I thought the bottom tine design of the EA may be stronger than the Homestead. I could be completely wrong on that assumption, I only viewed each via pictures on the internet after all.

I also thought the RK Granite would be a very nice grapple, they recommend the G72 for my tractor, which is around 100lbs heavier than the Wicked 60", 540lbs RK/400lbs EA, and about the same price, $2,699.99 for the RK vs. $2,65.00 for the EA.

There seems to be a lot of tractor owners on here that swear by whatever brand they've bought, and I think that is great. Maybe I would have been happy with any of the others I mentioned, I really hope I'm happy with the EA 60". Did I mention I'm patiently waiting for it?!

I contacted Travis Monday and he said the current lead time is 12 WEEKS....up from 10 weeks. I was hoping he would tell me it has dropped to 4 weeks. I think that is the only reason I haven't placed the order. I guess I need to just order as weeks are passing. At the current lead time, I won't get it until summer.

/ Homestead Implements Grapple #20  
I contacted Travis Monday and he said the current lead time is 12 WEEKS....up from 10 weeks. I was hoping he would tell me it has dropped to 4 weeks. I think that is the only reason I haven't placed the order. I guess I need to just order as weeks are passing. At the current lead time, I won't get it until summer.

LOL, It will be a early Christmas present.........