horse etiquette

/ horse etiquette
OP,

Are we talking about a single horse at a time, two horses riding abreast, or is this a cavalry column of a hundred mounted troopers?

And unless it's a hundred troopers, as long as they're riding down the side of the road, or in the road ditch next to the road, my vote would be "Who cares?"

What is the *specific* issue you have with horse apples in the road? Small kids running out and playing in it? Dogs running out and eating it or rolling in it? I mean it's a road... ?
There is a neighbor..Not part of the 5 or 6 that own the road..Who has a stable where they teach people to ride. They use our road to access other trails. Could be 1 horse..could be 10.. depends on the day. My specific issue with it... We have a few vehicles in the 100K mark and horse crap is not a perfume I like to spray up under the wheel wells.

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #42  
There is a neighbor..Not part of the 5 or 6 that own the road..Who has a stable where they teach pope to ride. They use our road to access other trails. Could be 1 horse..could be 10.. depends on the day. My specific issue with it... We have a few vehicles in the 100K mark and horse crap is not a perfume I like to spray up under the wheel wells.
Have you approached them?

/ horse etiquette #43  
I've been told that horse manure does not make good fertilizer. The vegatative matter is not as digested as cow manure. Possibly because cows chew their cud and horses do not(?).
Horse manure won't burn your veggie crops, but contains a lot of weed seeds, while cow manure will burn your veggie crops. Composted cow manure is the ticket. :p

/ horse etiquette
Have you approached them?
I have not, I have just dealt with it over the years, Buy lately its been a daily occurrence. I didn't want to make waves, But I'm beginning to think otherwise.

/ horse etiquette #45  
I have not, I have just dealt with it over the years, Buy lately its been a daily occurrence. I didn't want to make waves, But I'm beginning to think otherwise.
Sounds like you have been patient, and these folks have alternatives. Personally, if it were me, I would have a chat and see what happens. If it is a daily occurrence, they probably have some kids who are dying to ride more, but can't afford the lessons and who would trade more lessons for cleaning your road.

All the best,

Peter

/ horse etiquette #46  
I've been told that horse manure does not make good fertilizer. The vegatative matter is not as digested as cow manure. Possibly because cows chew their cud and horses do not(?).
It is more acid, so it is great fresh on acid loving plants like roses, and azaleas, but yes seeds can pass through. Composted, it is great on lots of things, and the weed issue isn't a problem, at least for us.

Cows and horses both use bacteria to ferment cellulose. Cows do the fermentation up front in the rumen, while horses do it at the end in the large intestine. The primary difference in the manure, beyond the water content, is that cows are often fed a high protein diet (alfalfa, corn & soybeans), so there are more residuals in their manure. Horses tend to eat a coarser (more cellulose) diet, and since their colon is focused on vacuuming up nutrition, horse manure tends to have had more of the quickly leaching nutrients removed.

All the best,

Peter

/ horse etiquette #47  
Be thankful you don't live in Nevada then...the wild mustang studs mark their territory by leaving "stud piles".
IMG_2230r.jpg

/ horse etiquette #48  
Horse Etiquette? Maybe the title of this string should be "neighborhood etiquette" instead.
In any case a topic like this needs a non confontational approach.

/ horse etiquette #50  
Horse Etiquette? Maybe the title of this string should be "neighborhood etiquette" instead.
In any case a topic like this needs a non confontational approach.
The problem when dealing with people is.....you never know which way it will go.