horse etiquette

/ horse etiquette #11  
For those of you who have and ride horses recreationally.. Do your horses wear ass bags when walking on neighbors roads ? My issue is this..We have a neighbor who has stables where students learn to ride. Their horses regularly walk down our gravel road..and leave piles behind them,,I then either have to try and dodge the piles..Or if not possible..run it over. ..Its aggravating to say the least.
Expedite that move south... then who cares. After 6 months you won't care either... ;)

/ horse etiquette
By "our road" do you mean a public road or your driveway?

I kinda like seeing horse poops on the roads. If I'm in my car I drive around them if safely possible. If I'm in my Suburban, I run them over, just because. :p
Its a private road, so yes I own a portion of it along with 5 other neighbors.

/ horse etiquette #13  
We need a little more detail.
Is this person one of the five who own the road?

If they were just riding recreationally occasionally, and also 'own' the road then it's not a big deal.
But if they have no ownership of the road and using it for business, then I would have more to say.

At the least, it would seem courteous to teach the new riders to stay on one side so cars could pass around the apples.

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #15  
For those of you who have and ride horses recreationally.. Do your horses wear ass bags when walking on neighbors roads ? My issue is this..We have a neighbor who has stables where students learn to ride. Their horses regularly walk down our gravel road..and leave piles behind them,,I then either have to try and dodge the piles..Or if not possible..run it over. ..Its aggravating to say the least.
Obviously you don't live near Amish. You learn that there are more important things to worry about.

/ horse etiquette #16  
Road apples are the least of my concerns, they dry up and blow away. People that don’t scoop after their dogs are far more annoying IMO.
Ditto here. I get poed about people who don't clean up after their dogs as it gives the rest of us a bad name.

/ horse etiquette #17  
Shared driveway, yes, it is not unreasonable to ask them to sweep the piles off the road, at some reasonable frequency, but with the caveat that if they were there first, or this is a rural area, get real, it is part of what you bought into.

On the other hand, really? I can think of a whole lot of other things to be concerned about.

If these are young kids learning to ride, why not try to have some compassion, as the kids are trying to juggle four balls, while holding a spoon on their nose, and whistling Dixie? This feels like someone complaining that their kid isn't changing their own diaper. If it bugs you, get a manure fork and walk the driveway; you will get some fresh air and exercise, and do something good for you and your neighbors. The kids might even thank you, and wouldn't that be a nice outcome?

I would try to take some joy in the fact that the kids are probably having a wonderful, joyous childhood experience, and might just turn into a happy well adjusted adults, in your town, doing happy well adjusted things for your community.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #18  
People here ride on the side of the road in the grass if their is room.

/ horse etiquette #20  
Mores, and what is considered good manners, change as society changes. The evolution always has leaders, the great masses, and followers (and of course, some who never get with it).
In most urban and suburban areas, today, cleaning up your dog's feces is good manners. It wasn't that way 50 years ago. But society's expectations changed and most people younger than septuagenarians, abide by these 'new' expectations.
In Tomtint's situation, non of us can judge the inappropriateness of not cleaning up horse manure in his urban/suburban neighborhood. We don't know that society's thinking because Tomtint has not included enough information, and may well not have it.

If laws have been passed prohibiting leaving feces on the road, then society HAS defined acceptable behavior. Absent any law, then it has not become an issue to that society.