horses and goat fencing

/ horses and goat fencing
Definitely adds to my thinking to spend a little more and get the best that I can now and save money in the long term.

/ horses and goat fencing #32  
We bordered a preserved wood lot on one side of our last place with some poplar trees being an easy three feet in diameter along with various oaks, etc. For a bit of extra insurance, I used those two piece galvanized springs on each row. On the occasion that something fell, I lost plastic clips and staples but once I had the tree cut off of the fence the tensile wire always sprang back up.

/ horses and goat fencing #34  
Eddie,
I'm not sure you need to truly buy high tensile fence, but rather run a high tensile wire above what ever fence you install. Run that top wire with a spring and tensioner and you should be fine. That's what I do with my fence. I actually ran 48" tall 2" x 4" woven wire fence with a high tensile 12.5ga. twisted smooth strand at the bottom that I hog ring the fence to , this keeps animals from pushing under it, I run a second high tensile 12.5 ga smooth twisted wire at the fence top that I hog ring the top of the fence to and then I run a third high tensile 12.5ga smooth twisted 2-3 " above that. If I need a hot wire, I can use the insulated t-pole standoffs between the second and third wire at the top of the fence.

How far apart are you posts and T posts with the 2x4 woven wire fence that you installed?

/ horses and goat fencing #36  
I put the t-posts 8' apart and put a rigid pipe line post every 5 t-posts. I bought 200' rolls of woven fence and installed a welded pipe H (actually 2 posts and a top and bottom rail) that I used to pull the wire tight.

I've seen salvaged cable for sale on craigslist. You could run that above the wire fence and I've seen the heavy springs for sale at the metal supply places. That would hold up to any tree branches falling.

Thanks. I was thinking ten feet, but did a search for recommendations and 8 feet seems to be the best option.

/ horses and goat fencing #38  
Eddie,
These are my two favorite tools for doing fencing
3-hole wire twister
I modified mine by cutting 1/2" off the handle and drilling the middle hole larger so it will work better for the 2" x 4" woven fence

Clip bender

The third indispensable tool is long handle or compound lever diagonal cutters.

/ horses and goat fencing #39