Hours

/ Hours #11  
One man using a tractor for 10 hrs could put the equivalent of 1,000 hrs damage on it compared to a skilled operator. Less than 5k I wouldn’t be concerned about hrs as much as use and maintenance.

I’ve had dealers come out with laptop and analyze the transmission pressures and check the pumps before buying on my CVTs and that gave me peace of mind. Other powershift I bought new, so had warranty. Magnum has rebuilt powershift and I know the shop that did it.

I will tell seller I’ll be there a 2 and show up at 1 just to see if anything fishy is going on before I get there. Definitely want to do a cold start and check smoke color on engine. Throw my pressure gauge in the remotes, too. Good for testing pump. Loader should easily lift tractor. Also let seller know you want a PTO powered implement available to test PTO.

ALWAYS check for seeps and leaks.

Look at the cab steps, seat, steering wheel and floor mats to see if hours match wear on them

Last edited:
   / Hours #12  
I knew of a dozer that was 25 years old, but low hours. Always kept inside. He wanted new price, but was sold for a lot less. The major problems where all the seals started to leak from drying out. If it had been used more, it might have been in better shape.
I also have a dozer and make sure it is started and run every 2 to 3 weeks. And by run, i mean started, warmed up, and run for at least 1/2 to 1 hour. Also check all fluid levels and grease when needed. Still low hours but used.

/ Hours #13  
I knew of a dozer that was 25 years old, but low hours. Always kept inside. He wanted new price, but was sold for a lot less. The major problems where all the seals started to leak from drying out. If it had been used more, it might have been in better shape.
I also have a dozer and make sure it is started and run every 2 to 3 weeks. And by run, i mean started, warmed up, and run for at least 1/2 to 1 hour. Also check all fluid levels and grease when needed. Still low hours but used.
Yep that's the other side of it right? Machine sitting idle for too long, you get water condensation damage here, chewed up wires there, dry rot everywhere.

/ Hours #14  
check the clutch condition if it has one, item oft overlooked but paid dearly to replace. you didn't mention the tractor model or make. does either have a maintenance log? hire an impartial tractor mechanic to check out both. they probably will not last long on the current market but choose wisely. regards

Last edited:
   / Hours #15  
I figure that hours are a lot like experience - the more it has, the longer it is likely to last. I'm not going to abuse it, just use it. If it has already lasted thousands of hours that makes me all the more confident it will last that long again.
And that's long enough.

I actually prefer the older ones with with lots of hours, decent maintenance, and not abused. They have personality.
Of course everyone has a limit, and mine is that I won't buy anything with flaky rust, dents, or missing parts. And if it doesn't come with the old manuals then I'm losing interest fast.... Got other things to do....
But faded paint or a floor and controls worn right through the paint down to bare worn metal is OK. I expect to put on tires and a battery - but nothing more.

A well-kept secret is that a used machine with hours that is simply old and worn is easy for anyone to deal with.
Up until about 20 years ago machines were designed for the easy replacement of wear items like bushings and seals. Tractors are heavy, rigid, well-built low rpm machines; they rarely need more than replacing the standard wear items.

And just by being willing to pay what it's worth enables a buyer to pick and choose from the best ones.

rScotty

/ Hours #17  
just as a caveat regarding hrs on a meter. some mechanical cable driven tacs are geared to record 1 hr at actual 540 pto rating rpm, so the number of actual "live" hrs (idling, etc lower than the 540 rating) may be more than recorded hrs show.
that may sound academic, but for example actual hrs on a rental may be far greater than the recorded meter hrs if that makes sense if operated below pto 540 rating. electric hr meters record once key is turned on, guess that's the majority these days. think that how it works, please correct me if not.

/ Hours #18  
just as a caveat regarding hrs on a meter. some mechanical cable driven tacs are geared to record 1 hr at actual 540 pto rating rpm, so the number of actual "live" hrs (idling, etc lower than the 540 rating) may be more than recorded hrs show.
that may sound academic, but for example actual hrs on a rental may be far greater than the recorded meter hrs if that makes sense if operated below pto 540 rating. electric hr meters record once key is turned on, guess that's the majority these days. think that how it works, please correct me if not.

That's right; that's not true of every machine but true of most. It used to be that idling didn't add many hours - but they do add up. The advantage on the hour gauge was offset because it used to be common to let machines idle for hours between jobs. It's just one more reason why old machines are often in better shape than their hours would indicate. High hour machines may not have all that many full throttle hard-working hours on them.

/ Hours #19  
hasn't happened so far but....if the ign is mistakenly left on on with an elec hr meter, will it record stationery hrs until battery is depleted? a day or 2 could really add up. done many clueless mistakes & continue to do so, but not that so far.
to the OP: follow up on your purchase if you decide

/ Hours #20  
Honestly, I don't know if mine are mechanical or electric. I lean toward mechanical because both of them are older units.