House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
So when we build our house two years ago, we had full intentions of putting in a whole house backup system in the future. As such, we installed two Generac Automatic Transfer Switches (to carry the two 200A panels). We have an all electric house (minus the gas fireplace) with Geothermal heating and cooling (with electric strip backup). We live in a rural area, but not in the middle of nowhere. I even purchased a 500gal propane tank and buried it last fall with anticipation of a future generator. Long story, short, since living here for two years, we have only lost power twice, and ironically, it was in the last month and a half. It was inconvenient, but I'm starting to question whether I want to invest the $8000 I was quoted to install a Generac 24kw system. I get the convenience issue, but it comes at a premium.

I'm not an electrician, but I got to thinking...could a portable unit be setup to work with my ATS? I don't need an auto start generator, I would still be fine going out and firing the generator up myself, but since I already have about $600 into the automatic transfer switches, I would like to utilize them if I can. I understand in this situation, I wouldn't be able to run my geothermal system, but if I can power some lights, the well pump, and the freezer/fridge, it might be ok in the off chance that we lose power.

Am I nuts? I already am 1/2-3/4 of the way setup for a whole home system, so part of me also thinks I should finish it out, but it's hard to justify the $$ the more I think about it.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #2  
We're located rurally, as well. I'm planning whole house, but using a portable 8500 watt generator (Harbor Freight), gas, for power supply. I got such a large generator, not because we needed it, but because I got a great buy thereon. We'll limit the power draw from the house, simply by turning off heat, A/C, etc. so as not to overload the generator.
That generator will require physically starting it (battery or rope pull), and as we learn more about power losses here, we may not even keep the generator in close proximity to the panels. In the past 1-1/2 years, we've lost power 6 times, but never for more than 4-5 hours. We can live with that. If it were to go on for 16 hours (or so), I'd haul the generator from the barn and set it up.
So from explaining what we're doing, please conclude I think you're not "nuts". Seems the $8K is throwing good money after bad. Pull that tank from the ground and sell it - take the money and buy a portable generator, and the balance to the bank.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #3  
We use my Miller welder as a back up generator, no auto start but it is not just sitting there I do use it for welding sometimes. I leave it in the shop and back feed my panel to the house but I don't try to power everything in the house. I use my gas logs for back up heat. the longest we've had to run it was a week and we have been here about 18 years.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #4  
I got to thinking...could a portable unit be setup to work with my ATS? I don't need an auto start generator, I would still be fine going out and firing the generator up myself, but since I already have about $600 into the automatic transfer switches, I would like to utilize them if I can.
I think it would depend on the switch, and what controls it. Some (mostly the more expensive ones) have the control circuitry internal to the switch, others it's basically just a big contactor and the control logic is in the generator (many/most of the box store ones are this way). Is there a way to manually activate your switch? Keep in mind that a portable generator most likely won't be able to power the whole house, and you'll need to turn off breakers for non-essential circuits to prevent overloading it.

I personally have no need for a whole-house unit that runs continuously when the power is out but I have a propane cookstove & HW heater, woodstove for heat and a gravity-feed well, so I really only need a generator to keep the refrigerator & freezer cold and only need to run it a couple hours a day. We're perfectly content to read a book by flashlight for entertainment in a power outage (and they tend to be rather infrequent here). YMMV.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #5  
We don't lose power too often either but have had some extended outages due to ice storms.
I have a lock out on the 200 amp panel in the house and supply that from detached garage,
most often run the Lincoln welder. I have a flex pipe on the muffler that I run through a plate in the window.
I have a big Honda inverter that I have run overnight and a 6K diesel if all that goes bad. Back to the "one is none, two is one "way of thinking.
Friend of mine asked me the other day if I knew anyone that wanted a diesel whole house generator.
Like asking a alcoholic if they would like a drink !
It's a 20KW with automatic transfer switch, full 275 gal diesel tank, 850hrs ,Deere diesel, just fully serviced. Has been under a covered deck so it's very clean. I need to find a support group so I can look away !
New owners at the house and they didn't like the noise or smell and put in a new
LP rig further away. Had generator contractor come to price out the move, waiting on that .

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #6  
You can transfer and retransfer the load manually with the lever that comes with the transfer switch(s). I believe the Generac transfer switches will automatically retransfer when the utility power returns, but you will still need to shut off the portable generator manually. You’ll need to add a power inlet receptacle to the transfer switches. I believe I’ve seen an ad for an electric start portable generator with a wireless control via a cellphone, don’t remember what it was, google is your friend.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #7  
Yes you can do what you are thinking of doing. That's pretty much what I do with my PTO generator. If I were you I would procure a large enough generator to run your entire house on the off chance you lose power for some longer period of time. I would install one or two Appleton 100 amp recepticles and have the plugs on the gen end to plug in when you need to. When power goes out here I back my gen and tractor into my shop, connect the 100 amp plug and fire up the gen. When power is restored the transfer switch operates and I go out and reverse everything. I have a small LED in my kitchen that I connected to the top of the meter base so I would know for sure when normal power is restored.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #8  
I am happy with a candle or kerosene lamp, but work from home has kind of changed things for us.

Upfront: I would do the math on how much power you need for your generator, and I would look at your meter during some cold days in January to see what your peak load is. I would then check to see how the house is wired, to see what you would give up if you only backup one panel. Finally, remember that the 500 gallon propane tank won't supply a large generator and won't supply your 24kW for that long either.

Until recently, we happily ran our propane heated home happily off of a 5k Yanmar clone generator. We keep diesel around for the tractor, so it is always fresh. Setup involved wheeling it out and setting the appropriate switches. After some early equipment failures, it has been great. Well, except for one thing; noise. Unless you get a Honda EU series or a PowerHorse quiet inverter generator, portable generators are loud. I had it connected at some distance from the house, where I could hear it and see it, but away from buildings, in case it burned up, which happens to all generators, but especially portable gasoline generators.

Why recently? We upgraded. We do lose power, and the frequency of the interruptions has been increasing over the years, which suggests poor management or maintenance by the utility, or evolving conditions that they aren't on top of. Either way, it isn't looking to get better anytime soon. So we added battery backup to our existing solar system. Works like a charm, so far. We will see how many kWh we can get off our solar system on a cloudy day in late December. In the meantime, we are 100% solar, 100% of the time, able to run our fifty year old AC, and electric dryer.

My neighbor went the other way and installed a 22kW Generac. After more than a few issues in the beginning where the installer ignored the factory specifications (!!!), she is very happy now. The only way she knows that there has been an outage is a message in her phone.

Lots of solutions out there and they all work.

All the best,

Peter

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #9  
Your necessities are 100% electric. If you can afford it, install the big system. One prolonged outage will convince you. You’ve set it up to worry free for weeks if necessary. I’d take advantage of that if I could.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #10  
A site with some good information and a simple chart for fuel consumption of propane generators.
CES | Backup Generators | Combined Energy Services

1633789617194.png

So a full 250 gallon tank would be good for 3-4 days possibly 5 for many people, rationing the run hours would lengthen that considerably.