House hit by lightning

/ House hit by lightning #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Earlier this month, we had some intense electrical storms roll through North Georgia. One of them was kind enough to grace our house with a bolt of lightning.

As best we can tell, it hit a corner of our semi-attached garage. It broke a foundation wall, blew cement siding and trim off one corner (found in the yard, 20' from the building), dented gutters and downspouts, blew out some exterior motion lights, and put a 2" hole in the fascia next to one of the light fixtures.

But wait, there's more. Much more. The garage lighting circuit wiring was completely destroyed. The hot lead was completely unsheathed from it's insulation. Made it look like the wire had two grounds, rather than hot/neutral/ground. Pretty much every piece of sensitive electronic gear in the house was destroyed. Home theater equipment. Hubs. Routers. A few LED light bulbs here and there. The light switches nearest to the garage were blown out of the wall, charred, with the cover plates in pieces nearby. Alarm system completely destroyed. Anything with a hard ethernet connection was toast. 4 PCs, couple of TVs, PS5, etc. And, to add insult to injury: The coffee maker bought it.

Two of three vehicles parked nearby had their ECUs fried. One is in the shop now; when it comes back, we'll have the other one towed.

We were VERY lucky and VERY grateful there was no fire. All six smoke detectors (3 alarm system, 3 house wired) were destroyed. The boom and house shaking woke everyone up, so the smoke detectors didn't have a role to play, but made me realize it's a failure scenario that demands an unwired/battery powered detector.

Electrician was here for 4 days, checking wiring and pulling new wire where necessary. Alarm system vendor was here for a day. Pretty much every sensor, detector, panel, power supply, etc., burnt. All replaced.

Pad mounted power company transformer had to be replaced, as it was feeding the house with 273 volts when the fuses were replaced. Local EMC was terrific. They had a new transformer in place in less than 1/2 a day.

The telco's router was blown apart and burned. It even burned the UPS it was attached to. Current came to it via the ethernet cables, which looked like fried spaghetti.

We're getting it all cleaned up. Nobody was hurt. Insurance company (Auto Owners) is treating us right. In the end, we lost some work time (we work from home), but the important stuff, people, are all okay.

/ House hit by lightning #2  
Good to hear that all is being repaired!

/ House hit by lightning #3  
How or could it be avoid... Via?

You know that could happen to any of us.

I've had lightning damage too, but minor compared to this.

/ House hit by lightning #4  
That's no way to be woken up! Glad to hear that nobody was hurt, and that you are getting things back to normal.

Last edited:
   / House hit by lightning #5  
Yikes, good to know that no one was harmed in the making of this catastrophy.
Good point about detached smoke detectors.
Take care.

/ House hit by lightning #6  
Mother Nature is unstoppable.

3 weeks ago there was a lightning storm at the farm. Loud booms and such for 45 minutes. But nothing that seemed too close.

Next day - garage door opener was dead and alarm had a “cannot communicate” code.

Both panels were fried and needed to be replaced. The garage door I did myself but the alarm was beyond my abilities.

Both were on surge protectors that failed to work.

MoKelly

/ House hit by lightning #7  
A friend/co-worker that used to live just a couple miles from us here, house was hit. Scariest thing he told me was sheetrock screws or nails that were on the wall where it hit had blown across the room and embedded in the opposite wall! I never thought of that being a possibility.
He said the Fire department came in with a heat sensor and scanned all the walls for any heat signatures in case there was something still smoldering.

/ House hit by lightning #8  
We have a very large flag pole in our back yard in the city. we still think lightning hit the pole and somehow added to the sprinkler system and then got the controller. Every few years, a strike would take out our pool controller and sprinkler system...blowing the transformer across the garage. 1) those little pool controllers are pricy. 2) We got a whole house surge protection system installed. It cost less than one pool controller and if it fails, they pay to repair electronics.

We have not had a problem since...

/ House hit by lightning #9  
Sorry to hear about the damage, and I am glad that everyone is safe.

I have been through a close hit only once, but the amount of damage is amazing.

One comment on surge suppressors; they are designed to take the edge off a surge or spike in voltage, for a few nanoseconds. They are designed to take a voltage spike from a hit miles away. They aren't capable of doing anything for a direct hit. Many folks are annoyed when the surge suppressor didn't work for a direct hit, but it often can't as the ground potential is going up, just like everything else.

If you are in an area likely to have a direct hit, you really are in the market for a lightning rods and a lightning arrestor.

One great reason to have offline backups!

All the best,

Peter

/ House hit by lightning #10  
How or could it be avoid... Via?

You know that could happen to any of us.

I've had lightning damage too, but minor compared to this.
Short answer is NO.

Our insurance gave as a discount for adding a whole home surge suppressor after our strike but even that won't save you from a direct hit. Stray current can and will go anywhere.