Oil & Fuel How about a diesel PT425?

/ How about a diesel PT425? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether there is an engine suitable for swapping into the little 425 when the old Kohler gives up the ghost. Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #2  
Dream on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I agree it would be wonderful and I was wishing they had such an option while I was thinking seriously about the 425. However, a replacement 25hp gas engine will cost you about $1200-1500 and pop right in. A 20hp diesel would cost $4000-5000 even before modifications necessary to mount it. Also, you'd have to set up plumbing for water or oil cooling etc which would be tough given the space available.

I thought about this mod for the 425 and then gave up. I guess that is why the 1430 costs what it does. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #3  
I've got a 72" Turf Cat front mower with a Kubota diesel. Free to someone who wants to swap into PT 425. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #4  
<font color="blue"> Free to someone who wants to swap into PT 425. </font>

Pretty simple contest rules. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #5  
OK all you do it yourself PT'ers. The gauntlet is down. Whose macho/crazy enough to try??

Where's 14?

/ How about a diesel PT425?
Boy, Charlie -

That's tempting! Do you have any photos or specs of the engine?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #7  
If we try, and fail, do we have to return the pieces? Or even try to put it back together again?

/ How about a diesel PT425? #8  
Within the next week, I'll try to take some pictures and read the data plate.
I think all you have to know about power is that it swings a 3 blade 72" mower while driving uphill.
When it gets hot, it doesn't go well, so needs hydraulic pump and/or motor rebuild.

/ How about a diesel PT425? #9  
<font color="red"> If we try, and fail, do we have to return the pieces? Or even try to put it back together again? </font>

Simple answer is NO.

I only need your word that you're actually going to try, and post reports and pictures as you go.

I also hope that if the project is undertaken, it will move a little faster than my boom string trimmer, my electric PT and MossRoad's grapple. If it doesn't, however, my only license to needle will be my having provided the engine and radiator, etc.

Your initial expense to get the thing to where you want to work on it will be enough deterent to a "what the ****, it's free" approach.

Incidentally, although I'm fond of diesel engines, I also have a lot of respect for gasoline types. I'm not sure what this conversion would gain, but I'd sure like someone else to put all the work into finding out.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How about a diesel PT425? #10  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif