How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #391  
I took notice of the planting of my 20 acre field beside my house recently. The neighbor farmer grows about 1,000 acres of cotton & peanuts along with running some cows. Typical fields run much smaller in South Georgia than out west, maybe 75 acres along with smaller equipment. Lots of short road trips.

January - soil sampled with an ATV mounted rig
February - buggy broadcasted lime
March - sprayed with Roundup for winter weeds, mostly goat grass
- mapped out the field using GPS and subsoiled the rows
April - buggy broadcasted fertilizer
April 30th - planted the cotton seed exactly in the subsoiled rows using GPS
May 7 (yesterday) - cotton is up to 1 inch high

Other than subsoiling it was not tilled, harrowed, or bedded.

/ How agriculture works thread
BIG tillage equipment in Garfield Washington. Interesting on how they farm in this dry hilly country. These Challenger tractors are well over $200,000 new.

Last edited:
The same guy operating his D7 cat "antique" 1975 year tractor. They were a special version made by cat to be used on farms.

/ How agriculture works thread #395  
Making round bales with two older Ford tractors here in Portugal. This is an English guy who moved to Portugal and just gave away the grass to his neighbor, who is a sheep farmer.

Making round bales with two older Ford tractors here in Portugal. This is an English guy who moved to Portugal and just gave away the grass to his neighbor, who is a sheep farmer.

Thanks for posting ptsg. My folks were to England some years ago to the lake district to attend the "world border collie trials". He raised, trained and trialed BC's for years and years. Below is a pic of him at my folks.
Dad sheding sheep.(ES).jpg

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #397  
Thanks for posting ptsg. My folks were to England some years ago to the lake district to attend the "world boarder collie trials". He raised, trained and trialed BC's for years and years. Below is a pic of him at my folks.View attachment 747212
That's a beautiful dog. I'm always amazed how well those dogs learn how to keep the flock under control.

That's a beautiful dog. I'm always amazed how well those dogs learn how to keep the flock under control.
And this is why we train our dogs (mutts). Here is my dad at a trial. Most of the Border collies he trained were sold to ranchers.
Jordan trial 09 dad (ES).jpg

/ How agriculture works thread #399  
And this is why we train our dogs (mutts). Here is my dad at a trial. Most of the Border collies he trained were sold to ranchers.View attachment 747214
That's cool! I had no idea that there was an entire competition with sheepdogs going on.