How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
This 1950s film about Euclid trucks showed up on my Yturd feed. This 1/2 hour is quite interesting and the fact that cabs were not the norm on them for many years. They also made scraper-conveyor systems to load trucks.

/ How agriculture works thread #793  
In my early years it was common to see Euclid construction equipment. Especially scrapers.

Our operators today, me included, are sooooo spoiled.

/ How agriculture works thread #795  
Sure changed ownership a lot. When I was a kid, that was all you saw on heavy construction sites.
Wasn't uncommon for a scraper to be called a Euclid, regardless of brand. :)

/ How agriculture works thread #796  
Depends entirely on the crop pocked actually. Cabbage is 100% had pocked, so are sauce tomatoes and green peppers.
Not all cabbage is hand picked:

Aaron Z

/ How agriculture works thread #798  
John Deere 8RX 370 with a 9 shank ripper going 2 ft deep uphill and down hill.

Around here there is no more deep ripping. The most you would see is maybe 14" and that would be the old timers used to doing it that way. Common now is either vertical tillage that slits the ground with almost no surface disruption or cultivators with either sweeps or spikes for minimal surface and trash disruption. The trend and progression to zero till is obvious.

The 200 acre field across the road from me has been near zero till for around 25 years and yields are great. One trip is plant in the spring and then another to spray. Another spray after that and then harvest in the fall. That's pretty much it other than fertilizer flotation spreaders.

/ How agriculture works thread #799  
Nice thing about no till is the wind don't blow away the topsoil either. Big issue here.

/ How agriculture works thread #800  
This is all there is to it. :)
And she's not even farming that many acres...