How are you dispensing gear oil?

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #1  

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
I am using a pump sprayer for my automatic transmission fluid and a hand pump for the 5 gal bucket of hydraulic oil. I'm looking for a cost effective way to dispense gear oil. In most cases a funnel doesn't cut it. The pump sprayer works great for the trans fluid, just think gear oil is going to be to thick. Steve
IMAG0220.jpg

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #2  
I am looking for what others say.. When I changed out the 11 gallons in the Kioti, I planned on using a D cell battery powered pump.. Yeah, it did not work, the fluid was too thick and and flowed like the proverbial molasses. I wound up using a funnel and holding a 5 gallon pail chest high for a good long time. Well actually 2 of them, and a little bit of a 3rd. Needless to say that sucked.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #4  
On another forum, this was being used by the poster, and he was real pleased with it.

Well, that's the cheapest I've ever seen a pump like that. I gave more than $25 for a rinky-dink plastic one that has had leaky seals since day one.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #5  
Auto part stores do carry a siphon pump that looks like a grease gun except that It fills on the pull stroke and ejects on the push. Generally come with about 12" of soft hose. Once you have one you wonder how you ever got by without.

Also there are food and some soap dispensers that have a nozzle with generally a tiny screw cap.
I generally carry a quart one in the tractor with hydraulic oil should I want to top up my FEL hydraulics that has been known to lose drip by drip.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #6  
   / How are you dispensing gear oil? #7  
Good timing on this thread, as I was about to start one when the OP beat me to it. :) I've been thinking of ordering a five-gallon bucket pump to dispense tractor hydraulic oil. Here's what Northern Equipment has on sale now for $27, but shipping is $8+. bucket pump from Northern Tool + Equipment. Claims it pumps 2 oz. per lever stroke.

Amazon has something similar, claimed to pump 1 qt per 12 lever strokes (works out to 2.7 oz/stroke). Amazon.com: Lumax LX-1300 Black Lever-Action Bucket Pump for 5 Gallon Pails: Automotive

And another one for a bit less, but claiming to pump 4 oz./stroke. Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648772 Level Bucket Pump: Automotive

If the specs are to be believed, the last one pumps at twice the rate of the Northern Equipment unit. Reviews are uneven. Hmm. Wondering what to order. :confused: That's the problem with too many choices!

I also can't tell how the Lincoln Lube unit linked to by Depmandog and used by Diamondpilot stacks up against these others.

Don't mind paying more for something that will hold up at bit better.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #8  
LINCOLN Grease Pump,25 to 50 lb. Buckets - Grease Pumps - 6WB32'|'G400 - Grainger Industrial Supply

On the Grainger site, says the Lincoln pump is 1.5 ounce per stroke.

LINCOLN Dispenser,Gear Lube - Oil Pumps - 6Y881'|'1293 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This is a gear lube pump, Lincoln brand. Says 1 ounce per stroke, rack rate at Grainer $139.

WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump,Oil,Up to 4 oz - Oil Pumps - 5NUD5'|'5NUD5 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This one is more expensive, but says it pumps "up to" 4 ounces per stroke. It also has three settings for different viscosities. Would make since to be able to pump more lighter fluid then gear weight...

Also saw some that was several hundred bucks... Out of my budget!!

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #9  
At home, I turned a old propane tank into a pressurized reservoir to pump gear oils etc. Some old hose and a valve on the end, with a piece of fuel line bent into a J shape. Dont do this if you arent 100% confident in your welding ability;) I do try to keep the pressure down in the 20-30psi range though.

/ How are you dispensing gear oil? #10  
After looking at various options online, I've ordered the Westward pump, model 5NUD5, through Zoro. WESTWARD Lever Action Bucket Pump, Oil, Up to 4 oz 5NUD5 - G0497594 at Zoro. For those who don't know, Zoro is a no-frills operating subsidiary of Grainger. They have better pricing on a more limited range of items as a trade off for Grainger's full service.

Curious to see how this pump holds up under moderate use with tractor hydraulic fluid. It looks like it's a bit more substantial than some of the other inexpensive bucket pumps. Here's the manual for it: www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Westward-Lever-Action-Bucket-Pump-Owners-Manual.pdf