How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck??

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck??
Gave one to my dad. He put it on the truck and when he went to dump it the tailgate just lifted up. That was years ago and maybe they changed them but when I just now googled them they look the same.

I think there is a strap with them that is supposed to hold the tailgate down.

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #33  
I think there is a strap with them that is supposed to hold the tailgate down.

Might work then but I would not want a full load of something heavy. Stone or sand for example.

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #35  
but then, you realize that a dump bed can kill you!.. Man Killed When Dump Truck'''s Bed Falls - Los Angeles Times
Every time I ever saw my father working on a truck with the bed raised he had a prop to hold it up. I believe that on his KB5 there was a pipe attached for that purpose.
Then again when I moonlighted pumping gas there was a truck that had to be filled with the bed raised; but we didn’t need no stink in’ safety device, things don’t break or fail.

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #36  
There's deals to be had out there. I was in the same boat. I need stone for my barn, scrap to get rid of. Up pops a rusty 7x12 cam dump trailer. 10k gvw, tall wooden sides, tarp, ramps. Structurally ok. Brakes need adjusting, $1000. Going to go through it, replace the rusty sheet metal, probably even paint it. I was considering the insert too, but my only 8' box truck has a gooseneck hitch, and fuel tank in the back. IMG_20191130_164127354.jpg

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #37  
I need to start saving and looking for a 1 ton with a dedicated dump bed. The dump trailer is not too attractive to me as most of the places I need to go are pretty tight. Thanks again for all of the guidance.

A ton dually will probably haul double what a F-250 will but they’re still pretty limited for hauling gravel. For bulk material hauling a 6500 is the minimum for getting anything done. If you do get a “1” ton I’d recommend getting a 3500HD or a F-450. They’ll take the abuse of a dump truck a lot better. I used to have an HD that I sold to a guy I work with and it will haul a heck of a load. IMG_7910.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7955.JPG
    IMG_7955.JPG
    519.9 KB · Views: 97
   / How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #38  
Get a dump trailer. Can hold more volume and weight and will be used for all sorts of things. They are out there in all sizes and price range. I have been looking at dump trucks but because I need the towing capacity of the bigger truck.

Amen, I had a Dodge 1 ton and though about making the bed a dump. Checked on cost of that versus a dump trailer. I bought the trailer, equal size to the truck bed. Best of two worlds now.

Ron

/ How awesome is it to have a dump bed in your truck?? #40  
I’d be concerned about pulling a dump trailer out of the local quarry. It’s a very steep grade and without the weight over the drive axel it could be sketchy.