How can I separate these two parts?

/ How can I separate these two parts? #1  

g8erh8er

Silver Member
Tractor
RK55HC
I need to take the housing off this shaft because the o-ring that keeps the shaft from leaking isn't doing its job.

Gasket maker appears to be firmly holding the housing to the transmission. I've tried some whacks with a rubber mallet with no success. Maybe try a dead blow to kind of shock the housing loose?

Trouble is, with the shaft and two upper studs, the housing is pretty well captured with limited degrees of movement so I'm not sure that additional hammer blows will do any good.

IMG_7986.jpeg
Untitled.png

/ How can I separate these two parts? #2  
You can try a flat screwdriver, pounding it into the joint to crack it loose but you do risk damaging the seal surface. The 2 methods for this are either a jack screw or pry points. A jack screw would be if they left a threaded hole in the cover and as you drove a screw into it, it would apply pressure to separate the parts. Pry points are just leaving a slight gap in a corner so you can get a screwdriver in without risk of damaging anything. Why manufacturers don't put in pry points on these things is beyond me as it is super easy and sooo helpful...but these aren't going to help you.

This will: Get another long screw the same thread as the 2 lower ones. Ideally it will be long enough that the top of the head sits right about where the hole in the shifter shaft is. Screw it in a ways. Put a long screwdriver in the hole in the shaft and also on top of that long screw head. Now you can lever the shaft up to pop the cover. BUT the shaft may not move depending on how it is mounted so this may not work. You will need to look into the details of that shaft to see if it is possible. The principle remains the same but you may need to find something else to pull up on if the shaft is not viable. And in that, it does not look promising.

Hope this helps
Dave

/ How can I separate these two parts? #3  
There is a tool called an "oil pan separator" that is made for taking apart pieces like that. Should cost $10-$15. If the gasket sealant is stubborn you may need heat to soften it.

Unless your whole tractor was put together that way, the sealant says someone was there before you. That may be why it's leaking now.

Last edited:
   / How can I separate these two parts?
You can try a flat screwdriver, pounding it into the joint to crack it loose but you do risk damaging the seal surface. The 2 methods for this are either a jack screw or pry points. A jack screw would be if they left a threaded hole in the cover and as you drove a screw into it, it would apply pressure to separate the parts. Pry points are just leaving a slight gap in a corner so you can get a screwdriver in without risk of damaging anything. Why manufacturers don't put in pry points on these things is beyond me as it is super easy and sooo helpful...but these aren't going to help you.

This will: Get another long screw the same thread as the 2 lower ones. Ideally it will be long enough that the top of the head sits right about where the hole in the shifter shaft is. Screw it in a ways. Put a long screwdriver in the hole in the shaft and also on top of that long screw head. Now you can lever the shaft up to pop the cover. BUT the shaft may not move depending on how it is mounted so this may not work. You will need to look into the details of that shaft to see if it is possible. The principle remains the same but you may need to find something else to pull up on if the shaft is not viable. And in that, it does not look promising.

Hope this helps
Dave

Thx for ideas Dave. I hadn't thought about pulling on the shaft itself and the housing coming along for the ride. But, as you stated, that only works if the shaft is capable of sliding out. It's not clear in the parts diagram how exactly it interacts with the 4x4 actuator, so it may slide right out, or have to be turned a certain way to come out. I'm hesitant to torque on that shaft without knowing the interface.

I tried inserting a razor blade in between the two parts and there is zero gap between them, so any method I use to work on the mating envelope of the components is likely to damage the face of one or the other. It may come to that though.

/ How can I separate these two parts? #5  
I would make some aluminum or brass shims to slowly separate the housing. Similar to the screwdriver method but more refined.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / How can I separate these two parts? #6  
Oil pan separator. Huh. Never heard of it. Learn something new every day...

/ How can I separate these two parts? #7  
You could try to soften the gasket/gasket sealant chemically with acetone or similar. It is difficult to force a razor blade, but you could pound on a putty knife or even a standard knife with less chance of damaging the mating surfaces than using a screwdriver. As the surfaces have a gasket, they do not have to be perfect.

/ How can I separate these two parts? #8  
Maybe 1" putty knife hit with hammer get as much as you can to start than follow by chimes or screw driver...go slow.

/ How can I separate these two parts? #9  
Think I'd try the putty knife with a bit of heat on the gasket surfaces.............Mike

/ How can I separate these two parts? #10  
Think I'd try the putty knife with a bit of heat on the gasket surfaces.............Mike

Heat the blade of the putty knife as well as the housing.