Buying Advice How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person?

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #1  

mlg

As a new member I'd like to say hello to everyone, and please bear with me as this is quite a long post.

I'm looking for a JD 4310 with a FEL but haven't been able to find anything locally. I don't mind driving to go pick it up, so I have expanded my search area to include most of the North East. The problem is that I'm having trouble evaluating tractors through the telephone and photographs alone, and don't want to drive eight hours only to find that the tractor is not in the condition I was led to believe. Ask any salesman if a tractor runs well and I'm beginning to think the answer is always the same. I was hoping to be able to get video clips to at least be able to listen to the engine/transmission but that request hasn't gone over well with sellers.

I'm aware that some dealerships will fill out inspection forms when they get new equipment in but I don't know how reliable that evaluation would be. However, I will definitely bring the S/N to my local dealer to pull up before making any decisions.

I've seen other threads on TBN that suggested making estimates on overall body condition. One of the tractor's I'm looking at has 1000 hours but appears to be in great shape except for a dent to the hood guard, a few rust spots on the loader frame, and the unfortunate rust from letting the bucket fill with water. Should I be cautious of the care such a tractor received?

%%%%%%%%%%

Now a few not entirely unrelated questions, but please forgive me for combining them into one post.

I'm looking at the eHydro 4310 for general loader work and some rough cutting. Taking TBN recommendations I have already written a 420 loader off my list in favor of the 430, but I have found a couple tractors with the 300CX loader which according to JD has a 33% higher lift capacity than the 430. Even if I fully load the rear tires (the R4s have a 4000# capacity according to the manual online, although I'm not sure if that is each or for the pair) could the 4310 lift 1600# with the 300CX. Would there be any benefit of the 300CX over the 430? Any thoughts?

I'm hoping to keep this tractor for a long time (20 years if kept indoors?) but will be putting only 50 hours on it a year at the very most, so I'm looking at putting up to an additional 1000 hours on the machine I buy. Taking this and maintenance records for the 4310 into account should I not look at a machine with 1000 hours? Or said another way, what hour range should I be looking for?

My apologies as this has been a very long post, but if you have taken the time to read the whole thing I truly appreciate it, and please pass on your advice!

Thank you!

Mark

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #2  
Welcome to TBN Mark:D

I can't help with the long distance purchase aspect...but it sounds like you have chosen a good machine that will fit your needs well-the 4310 has a fantastic track record.

I think you could not go wrong with either the 430 or 300CX loaders, both are good units. I also think 1600# is doable if the load is close in, hanging out on pallet forks maybe not.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #3  
I bought my JD 6415 without seeing it in person. I can tell you they always look better in the pictures, that said I am happy with my purchase. I had the local dealer run the serial number for build info and warranty/service work records.

The selling dealer said it was a one owner tractor, traded for a cab tractor, he provided me the owner's name and number.

Selling dealer offered to send a Dyno test report and hard copies of all warrantry work too.

I could tell from the pictures (lack of rust, paint not faded) that it had been shedded.

Mine had 2562 hours when I got it.

The local YMCA summer camp has JD 4300 that is ten years old and has about 3600 hours on it. Still running good, but looks like cr@p. I would not let 1000 hours deter me.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person?
Thanks for the replies.

This tractor with the 1000 hours does have some rust on it and the plastic does look slightly faded to me so it could have been stored outside. I'm trying a picture so hopefully it will work. The tires also look pretty worn to me. But the 3 point is immaculate. Would you buy a tractor that was in this shape? Also, how much internal damage could a previous owner do from lack of maintenance in 1000 hours? One last question: how much does it cost to replace the rubber on a 4310 such as this, closer to $500 or $1000?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8420

You are all so helpful thanks so much, please keep it coming!

Mark

Last edited:
   / How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #5  
Tires look OK for 1000 hrs. You can spend $1000 easily to replace all 4. That machine has Power Beyond also so you could run a backhoe or logsplitter.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #6  
After looking at the pics of the tractor I would say the appearances indicate it has a reasonable amount of wear. Doesn't look to be missused, if it had been, the light loader bucket would show more wear and tear. The tires look pretty good, at 50 hrs a year I would wait to change them when needed. Most likely you can put another 500 to 1000 hrs on them, depends more on the age of the tires I would think. They may crack badly before you wear out the tread.

The overall paint looks good, you may want to touch up a little but remember you are buying a tractor to use not a trailer queen.:laughing:

If you are shopping for this model I think this ones deserves a closer look.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #7  
The bucket rust will disappear with the first few loads of rock you move with the loader.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #8  
After looking at the pics of the tractor I would say the appearances indicate it has a reasonable amount of wear. Doesn't look to be missused, if it had been, the light loader bucket would show more wear and tear. The tires look pretty good, at 50 hrs a year I would wait to change them when needed. Most likely you can put another 500 to 1000 hrs on them, depends more on the age of the tires I would think. They may crack badly before you wear out the tread.

The overall paint looks good, you may want to touch up a little but remember you are buying a tractor to use not a trailer queen.:laughing:

If you are shopping for this model I think this ones deserves a closer look.

2x.

I have found most people will shoot straight from buying sight unseen. All used equipment is a crap shot at best. Knowing why it is on the market is important to me. i prefer to buy low enough to do some repairs and still not be over high retail afterwards and just plan to keep it for years.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #9  
I did buy a 2003 790 "sight unseen" other then pictures. This was a very low hour (24 hours on the meter) machine. This was from a dealer in SW Virginia. The Dealer was James River company (they have a few stores in VA).
I'd do it again with no problem...once there was a comfort level with the dealer!
I would not buy a "sight unseen" tractor from a private seller.

BTW, before you elimnate things like loaders models, realistically review your needs. The 420 loader will lift quite a bit...are you really planning to lift a ton 88 inches up?

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #10  
What kind of money are they asking? I'n march I bought a 4310 with a 430 loader and 3 point out of machinefinder from a dealer in chatham NY. It had 1600 hrs on it and new rubber (turf) they also had installed a new hood as the orig was damaged. I payed $10,000 for it with a complete service (oil and filters etc)

Also I really wish I had a 300cx loader.

I had a 4610 with the 460 loader and there was aBIG difference in lifting capacity which I really miss.