How close have you come

/ How close have you come #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
To cutting a limb off or damaging something very badly.

Im looking for the best you tube video on proper use of a chainsaw. ( any suggestions ) Ive been using them since I was old enough to carry but evidently I need to re think how I use and respect the saw and Ive also been reminded that technically no one ever told me a right or wrong way.

Recently I was in the woods and cut open the same pair of shorts not once but twice within a couple hours time period, just wasnt paying enough attentions. Shredded the shorts in 2 places, didnt give me a scratch.

Secondly this weekend had a chain snap, chain wacked me in the knad, lots of pain, dropping to the ground, expected to see lots of blood, not so much as a scratch.

I need to count my blessings.

/ How close have you come #2  
I have torn a set of insulated duck bibs that my wife had to patch. I was young and dumb.

Search chainsaw safety on the youtube. There are a myriad of videos. I seen Stihl has a few.

I would start, if I were you, by ditching the shorts and wearing work pants and chaps. When the bar isn't in the wood, apply the brake.

Here is a good video to start with. Lots of good info

/ How close have you come #3  
You're wearing shorts while operating a chainsaw? Or did you mean your underwear?

/ How close have you come #4  
Two teeth left a two inch gash on left elbow, Six inch gash on outer layer of insulated coveralls about half way between groin and knee on left thigh and landed about 10 feet behind were I was standing flat on my back with the wind knocked out of me.

/ How close have you come #5  
A video is one thing... you need to take a course on chainsaw use/operation/safety/maintenance.

I don't know who, in your area of the world, offers such a course but they are out there.

Here in Australia the local SES (State Emergency Service) or TAFE (trade school) offer this course to the 'homeowner'/non-forestry tradie.

Nothing compares to practical experience, learnt from a professional. Bad habits are nipped in the bud this way.

Last edited:
   / How close have you come #6  
2015 first major (broken bone)accident. cutting a poplar tree off a fence on a slope. Was cutting from the low side with a block to prevent a run away, and going to complete cut from high side(awkward angle). Over cut and the log got away and rolled over my right ankle , broke the outside part of the ankle bone and did a number on the heel bone/ligaments.
The old saw about broken bones aching before rain is right.

/ How close have you come #7  
I've had two "incidents". Both I attribute to fatigue. Cut a small gash in the toe of my steel toed boot. Had the still rotating chain engage the leg of my pants. No damage to any body parts. The boots and pants survived OK. Both are still used.

I now use a smaller Stihl and acknowledge the onset of fatigue.

/ How close have you come #8  
I have cut 2 pairs of pants in the same spot. They are Duluth Trading pants that have extra material in the front - thankfully only the pants where damage. Mine wasn't fatigue, but arrogance. I pay better attention now.

/ How close have you come #9  
I’ll second the suggestion to get some real hands on training, even paying a top notch arborist in your area will be pennies on the dollar compared to a trip to the emergency room and a lot less painful too !

/ How close have you come #10  
Over the years had some encounters from losing my footing to saw kicking back in hurry or tried,problem with chainsaw it doesn't cut it rips flesh,older I've become slower and now double think before cutting.