How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power?

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power?
I can't pull it because there is no access to attach tools, as I said above. Also, as I said, I can't start the motor until the front cover is replaced.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #12  
If you can't get to it the best thing to do is wait until you get the cover fixed.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #13  
I can't pull it because there is no access to attach tools, as I said above. Also, as I said, I can't start the motor until the front cover is replaced.
What is at the end of the cylinder, where it attaches to the steering?
If it's just threaded, use a piece of angle iron or angle bracket from hardware store. Drill a hole in the ends of the bracket, and slip over the threaded rod, install washer & nut.
Add a piece of rope through a hole drilled in other end on angle bracket, and attach rope to 2x4 or such, and use leverage to pull the ram out of the cylinder. Make it easier by loosening the cylinder hose fitting, and just let it suck air as you pull it out. It will purge the air one re-connected to a running tractor. (remember to tightene the loosened fitting).

It's a very bizarre system. The eye at the front of the rod attaches to the left front corner of the frame, where it is nearly inaccessible. The other attachment is in the middle, and it goes to a Pitman arm.

When you fire the tractor up and use the steering to move the cylinder, it pokes a hole in the front cover. At least that's what it does if you can't see what it's doing when you turn the wheel. You could have someone lie down under the tractor and yell directions, but that doesn't seem like a great idea. This is why I don't want to use the hydraulics when the engine is running again.

The portable hydraulic pump will get it done.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #15  
Sounds like a trunnion mount instead of mounting at each end. Do you have a picture of the cylinder?

Can you take the cover off while you mount the cylinder? I will probably require a 2nd person no matter how you end up doing this.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #16  
I'd be interested in seeing what front cover you are referring to. It's easy to insert photos here on the forum...
in the reply box, just click the "INSERT IMAGE" icon (the one between the smiley face and the paper clip). Then you can either drag and drop the photos to that area, OR click that area and search the computer for the photos. You can add more than one at a time.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #17  
Measure center to center on the attachment holes on the tractor. Tie one end of the cylinder to to something solid. hook a comealong to the other end. Set the cylinder ends at the center measurements. Install & forget about it.

Whoever said to jack the tractor and move the wheels gets the prize. When the wheels came up, I moved them with one hand, and the holes lined up.

I would say my difficulty figuring this out shows the difference between a guy like me and a mechanic, but a mechanic told me to use compressed air, which would have been a giant pain in the butt.

Someone asked to see the front cover. I will upload a parts manual page.

Attachments

• kubota L3710 front gear case from parts manual.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 42