How do you Dry your Nuts?

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #31  
I've been eyeing the walnut tree in my mother's field wondering if it's worth messing with them. This thread has given me some ideas to try so I will probably pick a bucket when they're ready.

Long before my nuts started getting goo on them though, I would be seeing my doctor.

With Black Wallnuts, my grandfather used to drill a hole through a board and when the hulls were black and soft, he'd drive the nuts through with a hammer to remove the hull. I only saw him do this with a few walnuts. In my opinion Black Walnuts are more trouble than they're worth even, if someone hulls them for free.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #32  
With Black Wallnuts, my grandfather used to drill a hole through a board and when the hulls were black and soft, he'd drive the nuts through with a hammer to remove the hull. I only saw him do this with a few walnuts. In my opinion Black Walnuts are more trouble than they're worth even, if someone hulls them for free.
That's probably why nobody picks them off this tree. I've been reading up on them since my last post and consensus is that they are pretty unpalatable.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #33  
That's probably why nobody picks them off this tree. I've been reading up on them since my last post and consensus is that they are pretty unpalatable.

I like the taste. My problem has been cracking them in a way that the edible part out in a reasonable amount of time. If anyone has a good technique, I'd like to hear about it.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #34  
My parents have one of the largest walnut trees I’ve seen in their front yard. Dad has raked and thrown away more walnuts in his life than I can count. He always said they were too much trouble to get out.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #35  
I like black walnuts as the taste is stronger so you don't need much. I love them in my oatmeal cookies! I crack them using my vise because that gives me the most control.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts?
I like black walnuts as the taste is stronger so you don't need much. I love them in my oatmeal cookies! I crack them using my vise because that gives me the most control.
I never thought of putting my nuts in a vice, I typically crack my nuts with a nut cracker. My wife says if I put my nuts on a wood block she will smack them good with a meat tenderizer.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #37  
I think you might have hit upon a basic truth - geoduck. I'll just bet not many have put their nuts in a vice to crack them. Nor would I put my nuts on a wood block so your wife could crack them. If I had to choose between a vice or your wife cracking them on a wood block - I think I would choose to just leave them in the sack.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #38  
We have 2 black walnut trees which we ignore, except for branch trimming. When they fall to the ground the crows pick them up and fly high over the concrete approach to our house and drop them to break the shells, sometimes several times, then pick them open and eat the meat in them. I had a nephew who visited from Colo. every year and would always take a bag of them for his toucan. He said she would work on them for days but finally get into them but wouldn't eat the meat.

/ How do you Dry your Nuts? #39  
I think you might have hit upon a basic truth - geoduck. I'll just bet not many have put their nuts in a vice to crack them. Nor would I put my nuts on a wood block so your wife could crack them. If I had to choose between a vice or your wife cracking them on a wood block - I think I would choose to just leave them in the sack.

I’ve had my nuts in a vise...

IMG_3602.jpg

/ How do you Dry your Nuts?
We have 2 large black walnut trees on one of my properties but we never mess with their nuts. The main tree we pick, I believe, is a Franquette and three others may be Ambassadors. I have a Butternut walnut in a pot that I will probably plant next year. I am looking forward having Butternuts. Does anyone have Butternuts?