How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #111  
Did we ever find out what works best?

This works best for me. 100 gallon saddle tank from craigslist, fastened to a pallet, filled with offroad diesel.

Gravity does the work! :D

P5310022.JPG P5310024.JPG

Before I raised it.
P3310026.JPG P3130025.JPG

Now I can park the dumper and the V417 next to it and fill them up too! :thumbsup:

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #112  
Did we ever find out what works best?

I use some Scribners 5 gallon jugs and one of those fill funnels with the built in fine screens that acts as a water particulate trap. I used to use one of the smaller funnels - but this time around (when I got the B3200) - I got one with a really large mouth, that works a lot better. The Scribner jugs come in yellow - so I know those are diesel. The red ones I use for gasoline. They're squared off and flat on the bottom so they are relatively compact to store and handle. Worked well for me for years now.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #113  
Don't you just hate all the new fangled gas and diesel cans.
They think they're so much smarter making the tank safer for us stupid people with all the new regulations. In my opinion it's easer to spill harder to pour. I'll bet the people in charge of these designs never even use the gas/ diesel cans they make.

Cheap plastic spouts with no vents on the can. Turn this push that.
Yeah just what I want to do hold a 6 gal tank upside down stretched over my hood with one hand on some stupid plastic flimsy lever for 5 minutes while it's burping, gurgling, trying to breathe (and all thats from me).
How do you guys fill your tractor tank? What's the best setup.

I got totally tired of using the cheapo, hard to handle cans, so a few months ago I invested in a couple of the good, metal cans that can be bought at places such as Northern Tool, etc. Very easy to handle. Can dump 5-6 gallons of fuel in about a minute. Totally seals up when transporting. Expensive (about $70 for the cans with the flexible metal spout), but may be the best money I've blown lately.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #114  
   / How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #115  
XFAXMAN,
Are those trace chains that are securing your tank to the pallet?
Stuck

I doubt it, we have never had Draft horses. But it is possible since I have been to a lot of farm auctions.

They came out of the "small chain" drawer in my storage room.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #116  
I have two 100 gallon metal tanks bought from Tractor Supply with a rotary hand pump and water block filter.

I bolted that to the pallet and use the tractor forks to put it in the truck. Then transport it to the gas station to fill. Not the cheapest alternative, but it works for me.

ForumRunner_20130531_193730.png

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #117  
I got this 70 gal tank from Craig's List. I'll likely fill it 4 to 5 times per year. It is easy to load/unload into the truck using the loader, and I secure it with motorcycle tie-downs.

20130531_TidyTank_1.JPG

I bought the tank(which I had to repaint) for $150 but then the Fill Right pump ($230) and filter ($40, water absorbing), so the cost added up. I had buyer's remorse for a while, but am over it now. It is fast(13 gal/minute) and safer(at my age) than balancing on the tractor to pour from a can. At least that's how I justified it to my wife.:)

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank
I got this 70 gal tank from Craig's List. I'll likely fill it 4 to 5 times per year. It is easy to load/unload into the truck using the loader, and I secure it with motorcycle tie-downs.

View attachment 320443

I bought the tank(which I had to repaint) for $150 but then the Fill Right pump ($230) and filter ($40, water absorbing), so the cost added up. I had buyer's remorse for a while, but am over it now. It is fast(13 gal/minute) and safer(at my age) than balancing on the tractor to pour from a can. At least that's how I justified it to my wife.:)
Very nice set up, I like it.

/ How Do You Fill Your Diesel Tank #120  
I use 5 gal military jerry cans. Easy to fill at the service station and easy to dispense at home. Been using this method for over 30 years and it works fine.