How do you know when the fuel tank is full?

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
Enough with the lifting and pouring 2 gallon cans through a big funnel. I need something easier on my back. I have a 7.4 gallon tank whose fill port is chest high, above the 3 pt.

I think a hand-crank pump on a small tank would be perfectly convenient and reasonable, except for one question: how do I know how full the tank is?

Do I keep stopping and looking in there with a flashlight? Do simple hand-powered pumps and nozzles have automatic shutoffs? Do I count the turns? Is there some gadget I can stick in there to signal when fuel is near the top of the tank? Or once you get the hang of it, is it very little trouble to get it right?

The barn doesn't need to stink of diesel fuel. I work in there!

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #2  
Enough with the lifting and pouring 2 gallon cans through a big funnel. I need something easier on my back. I have a 7.4 gallon tank whose fill port is chest high, above the 3 pt.

I think a hand-crank pump on a small tank would be perfectly convenient and reasonable, except for one question: how do I know how full the tank is?

Do I keep stopping and looking in there with a flashlight? Do simple hand-powered pumps and nozzles have automatic shutoffs? Do I count the turns? Is there some gadget I can stick in there to signal when fuel is near the top of the tank? Or once you get the hang of it, is it very little trouble to get it right?

The barn doesn't need to stink of diesel fuel. I work in there!

"The barn doesn't need to stink of diesel fuel"

Yup!
Fueling outside is best with diesel, safer with gas.
I lost my entire house, from my teen age son filling gas in the garage.

Last edited:
   / How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #3  
I just turn the key so that the tractor's fuel gauge powers on and watch that as I pump. Keep in mind the gauge will lag behind reality by a few seconds, so I slow down as I get near full.

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #5  
I fill with a 12v pump (TSC cheapest) from 55 gallon barrels. Before I bought the electric pump I had a hand operated (crank handle operated) pump that mounted on the drums like the electric and found it to be inconvenient as you had to be standing at the drum to operate it and couldn't be looking down into your tractor's fill port simultaneously like is required on the 2400. Its port is on top of the engine cowl with a flip cover over the screw on fill cap. A small tube connects the fill port to the tank and being such, you have to apply fuel at a slow rate and be on your toes to shut it off when fluid unexpectedly emerges.

On my small engines, I quit the hassle of 5 gallon containers and started using 2 gallon containers which are easy to fill at the filling station and are easy to handle by hand. If I didn't have the electric pump for tractors, It would be the hand pump for all but the 2400.....which, as an additional handicap in not over filling, the gauge is slow to respond to tank fluid level so it isn't a resource for filling like it is on the other tractors.

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #6  
When I used to fuel aircraft over the wing our fuel trucks did not have automatic shut offs. We stuck a finger in the hole with the nozzle. When your finger gets wet or cold, you stop. ;)

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #7  
I personally like these because they stop flowing when fuel reaches spout.... But then my fuel filler is just a little above waist height and can can rest of fender...

41FAyfLWivL._SX466_.jpg

Dale

/ How do you know when the fuel tank is full? #8  
When your feet get wet STOP !