How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used?

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #31  
yes, talking about shafts and lubricants will bring out the 13 year old in all of us. Just remember that, hopefully, we are all adults, and if you choose to cover your (PTO) shaft or not, is on you and you take the risk. :D

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #32  
I have to lube mine!
I can not get the pieces to slide without lube.
I use Fluid Film. It makes less of a mess and wipes up well.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used?
People are posting about Fluid Film more and more. Until recently I thought that it was only used as a rust inhibitor for automobiles. How many different things do people use it for? It must work pretty good, otherwise people wouldn't keep buying it at ten bucks a can.I use white grease for lubing things like door hinges and latches on my pickup, is FF a good substitute for that? How would it work on the deck of my wood splitter? I don't want to use grease because that would make a mess of the wood.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #34  
Do you believe covering the shaft when not in use would have prevented them from snapping or was it something else that caused it?
Like maybe hitting something with the implement?

My thought towards always using the cap when not employing a PTO driven implement is simple... the tractor came with one therefore there must be a reason that 'they' put one there.

So why not use it? A wee spray of lanolin-based lubricant or WD-40 to prevent rust due to infrequent use of the PTO is just preventive maintenance as far as I can see.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #35  
People are posting about Fluid Film more and more. Until recently I thought that it was only used as a rust inhibitor for automobiles. How many different things do people use it for? It must work pretty good, otherwise people wouldn't keep buying it at ten bucks a can.I use white grease for lubing things like door hinges and latches on my pickup, is FF a good substitute for that? How would it work on the deck of my wood splitter? I don't want to use grease because that would make a mess of the wood.

'FF' is a lanolin based lubricant and I use a similar spray all around the property... including the base/deck of my wood splitter. I works great and doesn't make a mess of my wood.

On the tractor = if it moves, but doesn't have a dedicated grease nipple, it gets a shot/spray of lanolin lubricant.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #36  
81454F63-F714-4DD4-AF7A-7B8EEF9D656A.jpeg

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #37  
However, you will also need additional water-based or silicone lubricant.

/ How do you protect your PTO shaft when it's not being used? #40