how do you remove this?

/ how do you remove this? #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i have an ariens 932 snow thrower with a 7 hp techumseh motor.
the motors dead, i want to replace it but i cannot get the main drive pully (sheave) off. i have taken the pins out (two) and the square key, i have wd'ed and it still will not budge. is there a "trick" to it?
thank you for your help.
Forgeblast

/ how do you remove this? #2  
Probably need a pulley puller. Thing with three claws that fit under the pulley and a threaded rod in the middle that presses on the shaft. You tighten the rod with a wrench and the pulley pops off, rather loudly too.

/ how do you remove this? #3  
Apply heat, lots of it. That will often do the trick. Worst case, you will need the puller AND heat. :)

Wear eye protection when using the puller. I had an India made Harbor Freight puller turn into a grenade. I ended up buying an expensive US made puller.

/ how do you remove this?
thats for the info reguarding HF's puller. where can you find better pullers. autopart stores? or HD or Lowes? Thanks again i appreciate it.
Forgeblast

/ how do you remove this? #5  
I know Checker Auto around here will rent you a puller for cheap. Your local parts store may do the same. I think I paid $5 for a day to rent a puller to take my motorcycle engine apart.

/ how do you remove this? #6  
If you have an autozone nearby AutoZone.com - Get in the Zone! they still have (I'm 99% certain) a tool rental program. Here's how it works: you buy the pulley puller from them and, when you're done, return it for a credit. Seriously. This is the way that their program works.

Richard

/ how do you remove this? #7  
reasley said:
If you have an autozone nearby AutoZone.com - Get in the Zone! they still have (I'm 99% certain) a tool rental program. Here's how it works: you buy the pulley puller from them and, when you're done, return it for a credit. Seriously. This is the way that their program works.

Richard

A full credit???

At Checker you buy the tool and then get most of the money back when you return it. It still ends up costing you a little bit.

/ how do you remove this? #8  
Iplayfarmer said:
A full credit???

At Checker you buy the tool and then get most of the money back when you return it. It still ends up costing you a little bit.

AutoZone gives you full credit on return, but I think their intent is to loan you tools to use when installing parts purchased from them. I don't know how they'd feel about just lending a tool. If you buy from them often, they might go for it. Can't hurt to ask.

/ how do you remove this? #9  
I use the loaner tool program at Autozone quite a bit. It works just as described- you pay up front the full price for the tool, and you get all your money back when you return it- even the sales tax. So when you return it, it costs you nothing. They have a good selection of specialized tools.

-Fordlords-

/ how do you remove this? #10  
Fordlords said:
It works just as described- you pay up front the full price for the tool, and you get all your money back when you return it- even the sales tax. So when you return it, it costs you nothing. They have a good selection of specialized tools.

-Fordlords-

That's it! I've got to find an Autozone!

I may have to drive a bit.