HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #151  
Understandable.......I just found 2500lb axles online. I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't just go ahead and make 7000lb trailers instead of wasting time on a 5000lb trailer with 3500lb axles. No matter how you cut it, you cant go over the 5000lbs! :confused3:
2 reasons:
1. Cost, a 5000# frame is cheaper than a 7000# frame
2. Some states have laws saying that you cannot haul a trailer that is rated for more than your vehicle is rated for (ie: if you have a small SUV that is rated to tow 5000#, you could get a ticket for pulling a trailer rated for 7000# even if the trailer only weighs 2500#).

Aaron Z

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #152  
Its obvious they knew they were wrong and tried to screw you orginally, thats why they agreed to a new 7K trailer.... You still be fighting them if they really ythought they were right.. CONGRATS to you... I think you should have a 7500# though...but anyhow..

Its not uncommon to have 3500# axles on a 2999# trailer (under 3000, no brakes), ect and a pair under a 5000#. They are the more common axle. The trailer framing itself is lighter material thus dictating the wt limit. Also there are more 7K trailers than 5K out there, so more 3500# axles are sold.

Glad it worked out for you

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #153  
UPDATE:
I spoke with the manager at the dealership today and explained the problem. To my surprise after providing him with State Law references, He told me that they would make things right. At first he tried to have my existing trailer modified with one set of axle brakes. I declined and he agreed to put brakes on both axles. I then told him that the trailer was stamped "max. weight 5000lb" and that the trailer couldn't handle the load if it was just equipped with brakes. He then agreed that a new trailer was in order to make things right and I took my trailer to the trailer shop and turned it in and was told my new trailer with folding ramps, both axle brakes, and a break away would be completed sometime next week (7000lb trailer). So far things look good. The dealer did play the "I didn't know that was the law" card which I find hard to believe considering he is in this business and should (and probably does) know the towing / trailer Laws. Funny thing happened at the trailer shop where they manufacture the trailers.....when I spoke to that manager, he said that my trailer I was turning in was a 7000lb trailer, and that the stamp for 5000lbs means that the tongue of the trailer has a 5000 lb limit. I looked at him like he was on crack and told him that I read that as "gross weight" meaning the entire trailer was restricted to that load limit. He claims I am wrong about that. He also claimed that the axles on my trailer are 3500lb axles. This doesn't make sense to me because that would make the trailer 7000lbs max weight, so why is it stamped 5000??? Anyway....I told him to make me a new one which he is doing. Anybody know what he is talking about here? I sure don't.:fight:

He must be on crack... So he's saying you can place 5000# of weight on your trailer hitch..HHHMMMMM. I'm not even sure tri axle with an excavator has 5000# tongue wt... Someone at the trailer shop needs to look for new work...

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #154  
I have never seen a tag trailer with a 5000# rating on the tounge, especially with 15" 5 lug rims, and I have seen alot of trailers. I have used military style lunette ring and pintle hitch rated 20K/2K, but that was on a 5 ton truck.

For example, My 10K trailer has a tounge weight of 1K. It has two 6K axles (both with brakes) with 16" 6 lug rims, each tire is rated for 3K. So, my suspension is good for 12K, but trailer is rated for 10K. That is a pretty typlical build (over rated axles and tires).

Glad to hear dealer is making it right, as he should, you are much more knowledgable, and I know you will share this info with others in need.

Good luck! Philip.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR?
Firefighter; That was my thought...and He was the OWNER. I just let it go because a new trailer was being built. Philip; I am much more knowledgeable thanks to you, Firefighter, and many others that have responded to this thread with great information and advice, and yes....I plan on passing this on to everyone I can. Thought about posting a thread under the buying and pricing forum warning newbees to check their trailers BEFORE making a deal with the dealer, and checking their respectable state laws. I will post again with pics when the trailer is completed and its in my possession which should be next week. Thanks again!:smurf:

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #156  
Funny thing happened at the trailer shop where they manufacture the trailers.....when I spoke to that manager, he said that my trailer I was turning in was a 7000lb trailer, and that the stamp for 5000lbs means that the tongue of the trailer has a 5000 lb limit. I looked at him like he was on crack and told him that I read that as "gross weight" meaning the entire trailer was restricted to that load limit. He claims I am wrong about that. He also claimed that the axles on my trailer are 3500lb axles. This doesn't make sense to me because that would make the trailer 7000lbs max weight, so why is it stamped 5000??? Anyway....I told him to make me a new one which he is doing. Anybody know what he is talking about here? I sure don't.:fight:

Maybe he meant to say coupler instead of tongue. Couplers are rated for different weights. If the coupler was rated for 5k then that is all you can gross with the trailer.Ultra-Tow A-Frame Trailer Coupler — Class III, Fits 2in. Ball, 5000 Lbs. GVW | Towing Couplers| Northern Tool + Equipment

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #157  
Yep....thats exactly what he meant. The coupler is where it is stamped 5000lbs. I knew I was right in that this means the maximum i can gross on the trailer is 5000#.

/ HOW DO YOU TOW YOUR TRACTOR? #159  
I knew I was right in that this means the maximum i can gross on the trailer is 5000#.

Pappa, the gross includes the trailer weight, not just what's on the trailer. I bet that's what you meant - but just for the record...

Z.

I knew I was right in that this means the maximum i can gross on the trailer is 5000#.

Pappa, the gross includes the trailer weight, not just what's on the trailer. I bet that's what you meant - but just for the record...

Z.

That is what I meant z. Thats why I had such a hard time believing what the guy at the trailer manufacturing place tried to make me believe.:smurf: