How does a glow plug work?

/ How does a glow plug work? #22  
In a pinch on more than one occasion I've ran a diesel fired salamander (carefully positioned) sometimes with a tarp draped over the hood to start a diesel. If your forced to go this route use some common sense and don't walk away from it when its on.

/ How does a glow plug work?
Don't have a salamander so that's not going to happen. Too cold to work out tere now. -10 and windy. +6 tomorrow . Good day to concentrate on it.

/ How does a glow plug work?
Thanks for the diagrams posted guys. Yesterday was way to cold to be working it it at -17 with wind chill. Supposed to +6 today.
Did check out the fusable links and both were good. Dealership told me to carefully apply power from battery to glow plugs with a jumper cable . To get it going during storm . Going to test that today.
Looking at the diagrams the glow plug light should be on ever if the plugs are not and its not. Might be a switch issue!

/ How does a glow plug work? #25  
"Looking at the diagrams the glow plug light should be on ever if the plugs are not and its not. Might be a switch issue!"

How did you come to this conclusion? You must be looking at a different drawing than me.

/ How does a glow plug work? #27  
Today is much warmer, hopefully you will get it started OK without glow plugs. What are you using for oil, I would suggest a good synthetic and would also get a block heater or a robust in line coolant heater.

/ How does a glow plug work? #29  
Think it was #14 but its gone now. Looked to me there was only 2 fuses to get the lite on.
On the schematic in post 14 it is showing a 5 amp fuse for the temperature indicating gauge and the glow plug indicator light.
following down from the glow plug light notice the letter B, then look over to the side a bit and you will find that letter B again
going back into the glow plug control module. The light will get it's ground from that module. Likely when it switches on to activate the glow plug relay.