How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #211  
Not really. Today's big trucks are mostly automatics, not manuals. Hybrid automatics, standard gearbox with a servo actuated (electronic controlled) clutch pack. No clutch pedal at all.
As an experienced truck driver I can tell you that automatic trucks have come a long way but they still have a long way to come. The company I work for has a pretty even mixture. I’ve had times driving automatics that I was so frustrated I wanted to drive it off a bridge.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #212  
Ya mean I should not drive my 2006 Ram 1 ton stick where there is a "Valet"? :oops: :).
I’d have to drive 100 miles to find a valet. Unless we are talking about full service car washes that do oil changes 😁

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #214  
As an experienced truck driver I can tell you that automatic trucks have come a long way but they still have a long way to come. The company I work for has a pretty even mixture. I’ve had times driving automatics that I was so frustrated I wanted to drive it off a bridge.
You do realize that today, to get a CDL, you have to have a special endorsement for a standard transmission???

30+ years for me with either a 13 double over or an 18 speed.. My personal big truck has a 13 double over in it.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #216  
Does the hydraulic shuttle work well when inching such as backing up to an implement for 3PH mounting.
Put in 1st gear just engage the clutch and it will creep along with no throttle.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #217  
You do realize that today, to get a CDL, you have to have a special endorsement for a standard transmission???

30+ years for me with either a 13 double over or an 18 speed.. My personal big truck has a 13 double over in it.
yes I am aware. I drive a 13 everyday as well.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #218  

I like the speed factor of automatics. Have 2 friends with class 8 automatics and they will flat out scoot away from a comparably powered manual. I borrowed their trucks from time to time and the Pete with a HD Allison would walk away from manuals at red lights pretty mush 100% of the time. Another has a Mack triable with an auto and he loves it.
I learned and took my CDL test in a manual, but now the newer automatics are better and are taking over the vocational trucking industry.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #219  
I like the speed factor of automatics. Have 2 friends with class 8 automatics and they will flat out scoot away from a comparably powered manual. I borrowed their trucks from time to time and the Pete with a HD Allison would walk away from manuals at red lights pretty mush 100% of the time. Another has a Mack triable with an auto and he loves it.
I learned and took my CDL test in a manual, but now the newer automatics are better and are taking over the vocational trucking industry.
I’ve heard that the Macks are pretty good but we don’t have any. Mostly Kenworths and freightliners. Mine is a t800 with a 500 Cummins and goes pretty good.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #220