How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ?

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
So, I just hooked my new disc harrow up to my new machine. This was the first time to hook anything up to the three point hitch. I was surprised that the discs did not go down in the ground any further. I "Assume" I hooked it up correctly, but when I put the 3pt down as far as it will go, the discs only go in about 4"-5". I am attaching some pics. I don't know what else to say. I hope the pics are good enough for y'all to tell me if everything looks normal. Ask me questions if ya have any. Thanks a bunch! ! !

27AFC8B1-7D5E-4CA8-93F3-78B481E77F3D.jpegA03CCDF4-0ACD-4AB7-A4D4-8E624242814B.jpeg8D0BC89A-0932-4B94-9666-E7C33DD14BB3.jpeg4D5C702E-941F-4865-8C61-77BA13830AFE.jpegB650B7FA-E181-4F9E-9884-9633B4FFA51E_4_5005_c.jpeg

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #2  
You're cutting in new ground that hasn't been cut recently. It will need to be cut a few times. After I made the cuts in that direction I would probably cross cut it once and the third time should do it. You may need to play with the center link as well. That's where you add or remove weight from the rear set of disc blades. You will find the front set does most of the heavy lifting. Just stay with it but that looks normal for a light disc harrow like you have.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #3  
What you are seeing is not unusual on unbroken ground 3 point disc just don't have the weight per blade to really dig.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #4  
Depending on what you plan to do, you might want to pick up a two bottom plow and turn the sod first.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ?
OK. . . Good to hear. Yes, I plan to go over it quite a few times, then I will be tilling it with a walk behind tiller. Then I have a BIG job in a week or two. That being, discing and dragging about 10 acres. Disc, Disc, Disc all diff directions, then drag, drag, drag. 13 years ago my pastures used to be watermelon patches and they still have furrows. I will then have them sprigged with Bermuda. I'm just glad to hear that it looks normal.

So, do I turn the top link where it pulls harrow forward to get the front discs in the ground a little more aggressively?

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ?
Depending on what you plan to do, you might want to pick up a two bottom plow and turn the sod first.

Yes, I was wondering about plowing first. I don't really want to buy a plow, but I can't seem to find any place that rents them.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #7  
Hit Craig's List or some equipment site locally. You can pick up a 2 bottom plow for a song nowadays. Extend the link to put the rear in the ground more. Adjust the center link to get the disc to level better. If you still have hills from the watermelon patch you can take some weight from the back and run the disc over the tops of the hills. The front disc set will throw the hills out and then you can reset the disc and level. Trial and error and experimentation is the only way to get comfortable with disking. If you don't like what it's doing make a subtle change and see what it does. Not sure but I imagine your disc sets slide front to back. This is another adjustment you will need to master.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #8  
In hard pack, I run my mid-soiler through the ground first followed by the disc harrow with the discs starting at an aggressive angle. On subsequent passes, I reduce the angle and run perpendicular to the previous pass.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #9  
The disk is a secondary tillage tool. To get compacted ground worked deeper, you will need to plow it first. It also helps to add some weight to the disk. I bolt steel plates that weigh about 200 pounds onto the upper frame of my 6.5 ft 3 point disk, which helps it cut deeper.

For larger areas, I use an 8 foot pull type disk, which I add concrete blocks onto for weight. That one maintains better soil contact and requires less passes, but is tough to maneuver in tight spots.

Compacted soil, like you are dealing with, needs to be plowed first. In the following years, you could probably get away with just the disk, especially if you add some weight to it.

/ How far into ground should disc harrow go? ? ? #10  
can't tell what size disc and what angles for blades. I put 55 gallon on top of mine full of water then it will cut up the Bahia roots, sub soiler first cut all roots loose.