How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete?

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #212  
So what did you think of that Tony Seba stuff? You check any of it?

Where is your service area? I grew up around the area between Battle Creek and Athens.

Used to farm there.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #213  
the reason nothing gets done out in the field is due to the engineers. i was just at a job for a friend of mine getting power to his new house. line crew was there along with the engineer. the engineer is running off of these tangents telling us how we cant run power the way were planning, telling us how to do it the proper way. after 30 minutes of back and forth he leaves. the foreman comes over to us and tells us hell put it in the way we wanted to. there was no problem with that method.
Our so called electric engineers were dumb asses with no field experience.We had to redesign most jobs they designed in the office.Sad but true.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #214  
So what did you think of that Tony Seba stuff? You check any of it?

Where is your service area? I grew up around the area between Battle Creek and Athens.

Used to farm there.
Jackson ,Adrain,bronson,south Monroe ..

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #215  
Jackson ,Adrain,bronson,south Monroe ..
That maps close to the old homelands.

Do you deal with much services to Central Pivot Irrigators? (taking this back a bit towards Tractors and Farming)

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #216  

Phil Timmons what happens when you have 10 or 15 stop signs traveling in town? your 250 watts is a steady speed it takes more juice to get up to speed so it will take a lot more wattage with all the start and stops going on. Then there is the time you want to pass someone and that takes a lot more juice.

willy

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #217  
Phil your movie he talks about cell phones a lot but as
you know farmers don't have any where the cell phones
as in the people in the cities what has this got to do with
farm tractors???

willy

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #218  

Phil Timmons what happens when you have 10 or 15 stop signs traveling in town? your 250 watts is a steady speed it takes more juice to get up to speed so it will take a lot more wattage with all the start and stops going on. Then there is the time you want to pass someone and that takes a lot more juice.

willy
These are just working numbers. There is not some magic "always" numbers. You do not really have to over-think this stuff.

Where EVs tend to "drop" mileage, if that is what you are asking? Winter. That is when you use cabin heat. Since the EV portion generates so little heat (unlike an ICE with waste heat for the cabin). For me -- with a Volt, and a combo ICE and EV option --- I just run the ICE for the first 5 miles or so, get the car really warm, defrost the windows, and then switch to EV without heat.

But really, I drive about 80 mph most of the time, and those numbers (250 watt-hours per mile) work out.

As far as stops go, with EVs -- most have re-generative braking. So you take your foot off the gas, and it starts backfeeding the battery, anyway.

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #219  
Phil your movie he talks about cell phones a lot but as
you know farmers don't have any where the cell phones
as in the people in the cities what has this got to do with
farm tractors???

willy
If you follow through some of Tony Seba's stuff what he is REALLY talking about is Technology Shifts. How things seem to stay the same, the same, the same . . . and suddenly switch.

Shifts in Agriculture follow this, as well. We did Horses. Forever. Then Steam, Then ICEs. Now no other than Amish use horses. This is all just within 100 years.

So Tractors going electric . . . Diesel, then Diesel, then Diesel -- then suddenly Electric. Not saying this is so, but just the way things tend to work. But behind ALL of the Tech Shifts -- they are already going on for YEARS before folks notice. Look at this essay discussion from over 10 years ago -- all about this stuff. I am still working on Design Tests and Releases on this stuff. >>>

/ How long before Compact Diesels are obsolete? #220  
Oh. My beef with electrical engineers hit a head back in 1997 in calif when I was hired on by a contractor I used to work for to remodel a 125 unit hud project damaged by northridge earthquake. Even though I lived in Idaho, the guy wanted me to be site super and he would give me the electrical side.
first meeting with elect engineer they threw this huge set of blueprints at me and I dug down to find electrical. They had us repowering all the buildings. They planned on doing this by sawcutting the he** out of the parking lot and running miles of pipes all over the place. Each building had 12 units and 6 saw cuts. There would be nothing left of the place. Also, each conduit run had maybe 12-20 elbows in the drawings. I pointed out to him that after 4 90s I’d need an exposed j box. He had no idea what I was talking about.

i had to redesign the system myself. I ended up adding soffits in each building to access all units and ran SER cable. I saved the contractor so much money he gave me a complete custom set of kitchen cabinets and appliances as a bonus.

the engineer had charged a heck of a lot of $$ for a plan that would be illegal to install.