How long does your fireplace burn?

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Every morning I get up and start a fire in our fireplace. My normal routine is to put a big back-log on the rear of the grate and then roll up a sheet of newspaper and put it directly in front of the backlog. I then put on one of those fire starter bricks and stack a small log in front of the paper and put another directly on top of the paper and starter brick. If there is room, I place a 4th log in the middle of the stack.

With this done, I strike a match and light the newspaper at both ends and in the middle from beneath the stack. I leave the damper full open while I make coffee and my breakfast, then close it down about 2/3 when the fire strarts to go really well.

I use mostly oak, postoak and blackjack oak, for my firewood. With this stacking method, my fire starts and burns very nicely with a crackling fire for easily 2-1/2 to 3 hours without adding more wood. This morning I just noticed the fire burning with a nice full flame and still three substantial logs red with coals after 2-1/2 hours of burning.

For you folks with more experience, am I right in thinking that I am getting a very long burn for the amount of wood on my grate? This just seems like a long time to me. Later in the day, as I add to the fire, I'll have to add a single log every 3/4 hour to 1 hour to keep a nice fire going all day, but my original stack in the morning seems to burn very long with little assistance. I suspect I am being spoiled by my oak firewood.:) What do you think?

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #2  
We also burn mostly oaks, a little elm, ( hate splitting elm), but mostly an assortment of oaks on our place.

We always have a fire when we are home and the temps are 50 degrees or less, which has been pretty much all the time now.

Jinman, your fire seems par with ours. Sometimes I get a slow burn average heat with greener wood, the dryer wood seems to burn faster but hotter. I don't have a damper really, just the main in the chimney base but that's a open/closed thing since ours is a standard built in type.

I have had some really good "free standing" wood stoves that you could really control the burn to where a couple of descent size logs would burn most of the night, top it off with a fan and they can be a real contributor to the comfort level.

I like free standing better than the built-ins personally, they seem much more efficient to me..and you get a little more heat from the piping, ofcourse a well designed fire place can be a huge improvement to the "wall set" like I have..

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #3  
Yes oak is very dense wood so it will burn longer especially in rounds. Oak takes a long time to season, Some say in needs up to 3 yrs after being split and stacked to drop to 20 percent moisture content.
I don't have a fireplace, but I am using an outdoor wood boiler to heat my home and my garage. So far with temps in the mid thirties I can go about 30 hrs on a load of hardwood.

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #4  
Jinman,
Do you have a fireplace or a wood burner? I ask because you mention a damper. I don't think fireplaces have dampers. Maybe a wood burning insert for a fireplace?

Anyhow,
We bought a wood burning stove last year. I build a fire similar to how you do it except on top of the newspaper I lay kindling wood instead of a fire starter. I also stuff the stove completely full of wood per the instructions that came with it. I light it up and off it goes. I let it burn with the air control (we don't have a damper) full open for about 1/2 hour or until the stove top gets to 500 degrees. Then I shut the air conrtrol all the way closed. From there it burns very nicely. Here are the results of my use of different wood types.

Sassafras = nice hot fire for approximately 4 hours with not much ash or coals left.
Oak and Cherry = 6 hours, but leaves a lot of charcoal.
Locust = 8 hours of burn with almost nothing left.
Of course, a mix of these woods makes different results. :)

This year started burning Oct. 1st. and have only let it burn out 4 days. Otherwise continuous burn. When temps outside are above 25 I can keep the house at 70-72 very easily averaging about 3 stokes a day. If it gets below 25 my usage goes up and I have to load more often.

We put a duct from above the wood burner in the basement to the floor in the center of the house. It has an in-line fan in the duct and a thermostat to control it. When the basement gets above 78 degrees, the fan kicks on and pushes the hot air up to the first floor. When the fire goes down and the basement cools below 78 degrees the fan kicks off so cool air does not get pushed upstairs. The furnace thermostat is on the first floor and is set to 70 so it will keep the house comfortable should the fire die out. Our goal was to cut our gas usage in half with the wood burner. I think we have gone more like 75-80%. Our gas bill for October was $22.00 and our bill for November was $35.00. :D

/ How long does your fireplace burn?
Jinman,
Do you have a fireplace or a wood burner? I ask because you mention a damper. I don't think fireplaces have dampers. Maybe a wood burning insert for a fireplace?

Moss, we have a regular (very large) fireplace surrounded by firebrick and what we have is not a damper, but a large rectangular door opening into the chimney. My use of "damper" was a misnomer. My mechanism for the door is stiff enough that I can close the door down somewhat like a damper but with nowhere near the accuracy of a true damper. I'd say I leave my door open 1/3 most of the time and that's enough to have plenty of draft and not leak any smoke out into the room. Our chimney is made of tiles surrounded by filler brick and then outside brick and mortar. The fireplace is a little unusual in that the brick starts on the walkout basement level and the actual fireplace opening is on the floor above. If I had been smart, I'd have asked the contractor to include a metal chimney up from the basement level and have dual stacks within one brick enclosure.

Construction pictures are shown attached.

Attachments

• fireplace_0.jpg
    fireplace_0.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 494
  • fireplace_1.jpg
    fireplace_1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 489
  • fireplace_2.jpg
    fireplace_2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 367
  • fireplace_3.jpg
    fireplace_3.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 566
   / How long does your fireplace burn? #6  
For you folks with more experience, am I right in thinking that I am getting a very long burn for the amount of wood on my grate? This just seems like a long time to me. Later in the day, as I add to the fire, I'll have to add a single log every 3/4 hour to 1 hour to keep a nice fire going all day, but my original stack in the morning seems to burn very long with little assistance. I suspect I am being spoiled by my oak firewood.:) What do you think?

Nice looking fireplace and raised hearth,

To your question,
I would say so, I don't get anywhere near that time between adding more wood. Are your logs 12+ inches in diameter and 3 ft long?

I'm constantly poking around in there until I get a good bed of coals. Much different starting technique also, I don't add larger logs till after the smaller stuff is really going good, I use one of those starter bricks and a few smaller 3" stuff to get started, gets burning nicely in just a few minutes.

Wood of choice for fire place is first: Hickory, next: White Oak, next: Maple.
IMO Red Oak is to hard for fireplace burning and has to be turned and fussed with to get a nice burn, probably the best for stoves though.

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #7  
Wood of choice for fire place is first:

For me it's whatever I have available!;)

Jinman, you should be able to fit a real nice airtight insert into that fireplace!:D:D

/ How long does your fireplace burn? #8  
Moss, we have a regular (very large) fireplace surrounded by firebrick and what we have is not a damper, but a large rectangular door opening into the chimney. My use of "damper" was a misnomer. My mechanism for the door is stiff enough that I can close the door down somewhat like a damper but with nowhere near the accuracy of a true damper.

What you have IS a Damper, never heard of it called anything else.

fireplace damper - Google Search

May be another of those geographical sensitive terms, but I've worked on a thousand chimneys and it's a damper, or at least around here it is :)

JB.

/ How long does your fireplace burn?
What you have IS a Damper, never heard of it called anything else.

fireplace damper - Google Search

May be another of those geographical sensitive terms, but I've worked on a thousand chimneys and it's a damper, or at least around here it is :)

JB.

JB, you are correct. I went back and looked at construction photos and found the one below. My damper is a Vestal HT-42 High Top. Of course, my fireplace doesn't add much if any warmth to the room, but it sure is toasty if you stand in front of it due to radiant heat. If we ever want any real heat from it, we will have to install an insert as Egon suggested or completely redo the fireplace with blowers and ductwork to attach to our central heat/air system. Right now it is mostly for looks.

Our wood is split oak. The wedges are 6" maximum at the thick side by 16" long. The heaviest is about 10 lb with most being in the 7 lb range. We split trees that have been dead and standing for about 3 years. Blackjack oak is a very hard wood and burns best when mixed with postoak. If it is dry and you are cutting at night, you'll see lots of sparks off your chainsaw blade. I have not let my wood cure since I cut and split it. If it didn't dry while standing dead, it hasn't had time to dry since I stacked it. It is easy to start a fire with by using only a single sheet of newsprint and one small 1"x2"x6" starter brick.

I am far from a fireplace expert, but I leave a bed of ash under the grate and pull coals forward as they build up under the fire. It doesn't take much work to keep the fire going.

Attachments

• VestalHighThroat.jpg
    VestalHighThroat.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 484
   / How long does your fireplace burn? #10  
Sounds like you are doing well with the oak wood, and the only thing I would do different is get rid of the grates. Keep a few inches of ashes in the bottom, and they will support the hot coals, and let you get even longer fires from the same amount of wood. Don't need that much air circulating under the fire. IMO :)

And glad you got the damper name straightened out for posterity, if for no other reason.:)

But have learned that each fireplace can be a bit different and have to get the operator "trained" to learn the intracacies for best burning.