How long does your truck last ?

/ How long does your truck last ? #51  
That 4.3 was a great engine. We had one in our 93 Chevy G20 short wheelbase van conversion. It ran out of oil three times and seized. I put more oil in it and off it went. Three times! Well over 150,000 when we got rid of it due to rust. It was still running strong. I pulled the transmission out of it, and the computer, and the throttle body, and alternator, and a bunch of other stuff that was the same as our 93 Suburban for spare parts.

How did it run out of oil 3x?

/ How long does your truck last ? #52  
14mpg? I got excited when my V10 F350 broke 10!

Kyle

My 2016 V10 is 7.5-7.6 mpg... I don't think it would see 10 mpg even if it was being towed on the back of a ramp truck.

/ How long does your truck last ? #53  
How did it run out of oil 3x?

No idea. Never a puddle under it. I'm guessing bad valve guides, bad PCV, loose rings... who knows? I'd check it about every two weeks and it would be fine, then all of a sudden, no oil pressure and it would take 3 quarts. That happened several times as well. The times it seized, I'd not noticed anything wrong... until the thing would just start going slower the more gas I gave it! :laughing:

/ How long does your truck last ? #54  
We have a 96 chev 1500 w/350 engine, we bought new. Just turned 50,000. I think we will wear out before it does.

/ How long does your truck last ? #55  
We have a 96 chev 1500 w/350 engine, we bought new. Just turned 50,000. I think we will wear out before it does.
I have a relative with a 97 GMC 1500 with under 60K on it and that includes a trip to Alaska. Also has the 5.7L 350 engine. Just had to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. Original Goodyear Wrangler RT tires still had great tread and no signs of aging when he replaced them 2 years ago at 48K.

/ How long does your truck last ? #56  
I have a relative with a 97 GMC 1500 with under 60K on it and that includes a trip to Alaska. Also has the 5.7L 350 engine. Just had to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced. Original Goodyear Wrangler RT tires still had great tread and no signs of aging when he replaced them 2 years ago at 48K.

Those darn intake manifold gaskets drive me crazy. Nearly every chevy I've owned from that era had the issue at least once. I'm always on the lookout for the smell and have even sent the oil off for testing to confirm the issue after the last one was replaced and I thought it was still leaking.

/ How long does your truck last ? #57  
My 2016 V10 is 7.5-7.6 mpg... I don't think it would see 10 mpg even if it was being towed on the back of a ramp truck.
It gets that bad empty or towing?

/ How long does your truck last ? #58  
My 02 250 (bought new) is just over 300k and has always been well maintained. It tows almost daily and other brakes and tires it's been pretty much bulletproof.

Finally had to replace the factory fan belt last year.

/ How long does your truck last ? #59  
I'm sure it's been said by now, but where you live makes a HUGE difference in how long your truck lasts... In MI, where I'm from, a truck will rust to the point of being more trouble than it's worth in 10-15 years.

I bought my current truck ('06 GMC Duramax) from ND when it was 3 years old with 120k miles, with no rust. I shortly moved to CO, and then NM. If I still lived in MI, I'm sure it would be a rusty pile of junk with no rockers or wheel wells, but I'm at 240k miles now, and planning to keep it basically forever.

Electrical stuff doesn't last in MI either... connectors leak and lead to corroded wires and modules going out, etc. And brake and fuel lines rot right off the truck. In the dry SW, nothing rusts, and nothing rots. The paint gets baked off, but it still doesn't rust much, if at all.

Suspension parts can be replaced, engines rebuilt, seats recovered. Truck frames seem to be built pretty solidly these days, so frame cracks are not as common on high mileage trucks as they were in the past either, in my experience.

The irony of it is that my truck is 10 years old, and I've had it for 6 years, and the value really hasn't dropped much, thanks to inflation and new trucks costing so much... And I have not desire to replace it with something newer... Planning to be buried in this truck. Unless we move back to MI... :)

C

/ How long does your truck last ? #60  
My 2500hd has over 196xxx miles on it!. With the price of a new or a few yrs.old truck I will just replace the engine when it goes.