How long does your truck last ?

/ How long does your truck last ? #31  
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7L, 173xxx miles, no rust, 4th set of tires, 4th set of brake pads, 2nd set of front rotors, regular maintenance, no other costs

/ How long does your truck last ? #32  
I just bought a new F-250 diesel last month. I hope it's half as good as the one I'm selling. '97 F-250 Crew Cab 7.3 diesel with 140,000 miles. Other than normal wear parts, (tires, filters, batteries, etc) it's had a new water pump, vacuum pump, and glow plugs. That's it.
1997 Ford F-25 diesel Crew Cab

/ How long does your truck last ? #33  
I have a Chevy 2500 hd. That in the shop the radiator I put in last year blew so I said forget it take in this time. Other then that nothing I changed all the fluids when I bought it . Other truck the tyranny bad might junk that and buy another 3/4 ton .

/ How long does your truck last ? #34  
I've got a 96 f150 XL 4.9 liter 5spd 203k I bought new in fall of 95. In the last year I picked up a 15 F250 4x4 Platinum but find I still get in the 96 more often. I talk about selling the 96 and have listed it once on Craigslist but didn't get any takers but I did list it to high in price. Told my wife I'll keep it to drive in the snow why ruin my new truck. If the f250 lasts as long as the 96 it should be my last vehicle purchase I figure I probably better stop driving in 20 years. Haha well maybe if I have to.

/ How long does your truck last ? #35  
I have a 12 ram 2500 with 150k on the clock and runs great. I change the oil with full synthetic and change the air filter every other oil change. I'm planning on running it for atleast another year since these new truck prices about make me sick looking at a new diesel!

Hi, RR.

I am always surprised to see HD trucks with such high mileage so quickly. How do you (and you other guys) put so many miles on your truck per year? Do you tow with them? Daily driver? Both? Travel for business?

I guess I am puzzled about putting that many miles on a vehicle that requires 80 dollar oil changes and big expensive rotors, brakes, expensive fuel at a high price and relatively poor mileage...

My F250 7.3 is used for towing only and I drive my 2002 Accord for transportation. I could not justify the depreciation of that big truck unless I were working it (and it made me money) or if I just had cash to burn.

And I'm a cheap-azz... BIG TIME :)

/ How long does your truck last ? #36  
My trucks are all over 200k, ironically it's the one with the lowest miles that had motor issues first, and the highest mile one runs the best... 295k on the wife's Excursion, 228k on my dually, and the F250 is sidelined at 212k, but getting a long block put back in with 378k on it... my buddy has near 300k on one of his 7.3's and about 225k on his other. We both are big fans of the 7.3's... body rot is the biggest issue for us.

/ How long does your truck last ? #37  
Hi, RR.

I am always surprised to see HD trucks with such high mileage so quickly. How do you (and you other guys) put so many miles on your truck per year? Do you tow with them? Daily driver? Both? Travel for business?

I guess I am puzzled about putting that many miles on a vehicle that requires 80 dollar oil changes and big expensive rotors, brakes, expensive fuel at a high price and relatively poor mileage...

My F250 7.3 is used for towing only and I drive my 2002 Accord for transportation. I could not justify the depreciation of that big truck unless I were working it (and it made me money) or if I just had cash to burn.

And I'm a cheap-azz... BIG TIME :)

I'm with you here. I've never put that many miles on anything I own. The wife and I have 3 vehicles and I drive a car for most of my commutes and errands. The 2007 F250 I have only has 70k miles on it now and I feel like I drive it quite a bit! It gets used for lake trips in the summer and hunting trips in the fall and winter. That is quite a few road trips but it will sit for days at a time too.

/ How long does your truck last ? #38  
Each weekend we put at least 350 miles on my truck and my wife's car, driving to the farm. Sometimes it's a lot more than that

/ How long does your truck last ? #39  
1990 F250 bought new has 427,000 KM. (266,000 miles) Haven't had to fix any mechanical engine parts. One transmission under warranty, I paid good money for a second replacement that lost the pump prematurely so I got it redone while it was out. I drive it less than three thousand KM. a year now that I'm retired, so the horrible fuel usage isn't near the cost of a new truck.

/ How long does your truck last ? #40  
My 1993 chevrolet half ton 4.3 will be taking its final drive to the salvage yard next week. I've owned it for 18 years and it has a bit more than 300,000 miles on it. Mechanically it is still sound; however, the frame is cracked. The crack is located in the middle of where the gas tank located. The box rails are so badly rusted on the front of the box it looks as though it is going to fold in half: the top of the box touches the cab of the truck. I have a piece of wood for a floor on the driver's side.
It has survived hitting three deer. The oil lines popped out and it was driven with essentially no oil for two miles. One of the deer I hit with it tumbled underneath and pulled the block heater out causing it to overheat and blew the head gasket.
It still runs and drives fine, but the rust has consumed it. Part of the frame has been welded a couple years ago. There are other places where the frame is rusted through.
It is really sad to see it go, but it must be done. Salvage is the only option - I wouldn't sell it to someone for fear they may try to drive for a while.
I only hope my new used truck will last as long. If it does, it may be the last truck I every own.