How long of a driveway is too long?

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
Subjective question, I know.

I will, in the future, have access to a good chunk of land to build on. It's a perfect piece of property in a lot of aspects (abuts my parent's property that I hunt now, great views, even more hunting opportunity, etc). The downfall is that the only way in to the property (where I want to build), is going to require roughly a 1/2 mile driveway. About 80% of the driveway ROW right now is open field (currently farmed), with the last 20% or so heading into timber (mostly Hemlock and some Oak). It doesn't have any switchbacks or serious elevation gain. In fact, the route we would take would involve mostly long straight stretches with a few slight turns.

We haven't surveyed yet, but mapping it in Google Earth shows and elevation profile that has an average slope of 6.5% and 112ft of gain and 82ft of loss through the route.

To be honest, I grew up on property with a 1/4 mile driveway that had steeper elevation and was cut into the side of a ridge. I'm not a stranger to road maintenance, but tacking on another 1/4 mile does give me some pause. I will have maintenance covered as my dad and I have a plow truck, and a tractor for grading and other work, but it may come down to is it worth the work?

You don't hear of many people around here living off of 1/2 mile driveways and I imagine there's a reason for that. Most people don't like maintaining a simple 100ft driveway.

So, if you found a great piece of ground, great building spot, and the price was REALLY right, would a long driveway be a deal breaker for you?

Love to hear your thoughts.

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #2  
Sounds perfect to me!I maintain about 3/8 of a mile for my business,good excuse to use the tractor.I would invest in a box blade if you don't have one.Are you going to build a road on the ROW?

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #3  
I turned down a property that used a 2200 feet drive. Just too much. I bought a house with a 800 foot concrete drive with a circle.

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #4  
It depends a lot on the winter weather. During a bad winter it could be a real pain to keep that much driveway open.

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #5  
1/2 mile sounds perfect. Especially f it means you are half a mile from the nearest neighbour...

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #6  
I grew up on property with a 1/4 mile driveway

Whatever you used to maintain the 1/4 mi..X2!
Good excuse to get a bigger tractor. :thumbsup:
I'd go for it.

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #7  
My odometer turns to 1 mile as I pull into the garage. Been maintaining for about 4 years now. Usually re-rock once per year at about $2,500. I don't mind it at all so far and enjoy the quiet. Our closest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away.

Jeremy

/ How long of a driveway is too long?
Whatever you used to maintain the 1/4 mi..X2!
Good excuse to get a bigger tractor. :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, my dad didn't buy his tractor until after I graduated high school. Lots of manual labor and lots of deliveries of stone:D

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #9  
It really depends on what's important to you. If its the perfect spot for a house and you can live with maintaining a drive that long, its probably worth it. I on the other hand like cars and wouldn't want to deal with driving down gravel all the time. My drive is around 600 feet long and paved and I wouldn't want it any longer.

/ How long of a driveway is too long? #10  
Sounds ideal to me! I don't like to have neighbors. Of course we don't have much of any kind of snow to deal with.

My concern would be cost to get electric to it. I have a friend that is building with a 1600' driveway. The electric co wanted $12,000 to run power back to him even though distribution is right on the street at the end of the driveway. FWIW, Internet or cable cabling buried and they only charged him $160. And keep in mind there will be more maintenance in the first year or so as heavy trucks for building a house will tear it up faster.