How manual transmissions work

/ How manual transmissions work #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Some of these old videos from yesteryear are pretty good at describing how things work. This one is in the same line as the video about differentials that was posted some time ago.

/ How manual transmissions work #2  
I enjoy these old educational news reels...

Thank You for posting!

/ How manual transmissions work #5  
I remember as a kid getting the first Lego technic set and I built a transmission with it (instructions in the set) and then I extended it with a reverse.

The set had a welded axle basically - there were no Lego differentials. On a trip to the SF Exploratorium I saw a cut-away view of a differential in action and when I got home I altered the ring gear from the set and built a working diff (open). Fun times!

/ How manual transmissions work #6  
I remember as a kid getting the first Lego technic set and I built a transmission with it (instructions in the set) and then I extended it with a reverse.

The set had a welded axle basically - there were no Lego differentials. On a trip to the SF Exploratorium I saw a cut-away view of a differential in action and when I got home I altered the ring gear from the set and built a working diff (open). Fun times!
Video games have killed this natural curiosity in kids.

/ How manual transmissions work #7  

They had directions for one? I made a 3spd trans with an H pattern shifter but didn't have any directions, the gearing spread was horrible though lol.
1st was super low, 2nd was ok on flat ground and 3rd was soo steep it couldn't get the vehicle going!
Mabe the newer motors/batteries are better, mine were the old AA powered ones.

/ How manual transmissions work #8  
Video games have killed this natural curiosity in kids.
Have to disagree, its the parents that allow them to lose that natural curiosity by letting them ingulf themselves in a false reality that doesn't require imagination.

My kids have plenty of Legos and use them quite a bit, I have the holes in the bottom of my feet to prove it! They are allowed to play some video games but the time is limited.

/ How manual transmissions work #9  
Have to disagree, its the parents that allow them to lose that natural curiosity by letting them ingulf themselves in a false reality that doesn't require imagination.

My kids have plenty of Legos and use them quite a bit, I have the holes in the bottom of my feet to prove it! They are allowed to play some video games but the time is limited.
I agree to the extent that parents have allowed electronic devices to take over the role of babysitter and also as primary role model, and you must consider that this is second and third generation effects that we are seeing.

There was a hubbub recently over the "woke" crowd wanting to start calling parents "birthing people". You are obviously still a parent that sets boundaries for your children. I am seeing less and less of that. What I am seeing is would-be parents willingly or unwittingly adopting the role of "birthing person" rather than being "parents".

I still stand by my comment that video games (and other electronic entertainment) has killed the natural curiosity of children. The fact that it is allowed or encouraged by their "birthing people" doesn't change that.

Last edited:
   / How manual transmissions work #10  
I agree to the extent that parents have allowed electronic devices to take over the role of babysitter and also as primary role model, and you must consider that this is second and third generation effects that we are seeing.

There was a hubbub recently over the "woke" crowd wanting to start calling parents "birthing people". You are obviously still a parent that sets boundaries for your children. I am seeing less and less of that. What I am seeing is would-be parents willingly or unwittingly adopting the role of "birthing person" rather than being "parents".

I still stand by my comment that video games (and other electronic entertainment) has killed the natural curiosity of children. The fact that it is allowed or encouraged by their "birthing people" doesn't change that.
I understand what you are saying, but I've never liked blaming the object for someone's actions.

I feel its in the same boat as blaming the alcohol for someone driving drunk or a gun for someone getting shot.

Once you start removing a person's personal responsibility for their actions I think it's only going to lead to more problems.