How many Amps to charge an EV?

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have no plans of buying an EV, but I also never wanted a computer or a cell phone, so it would be silly of me to try to predict what I will or wont buy in the future.

I'm adding on a garage to my house. I'm running the wires for my outlets and lights, and I'm going to run power for my welder. For the welder, I want 50 amps. I can add an outlet along the way for an EV to plug into, but is 50 amps enough?

I was talking to a guy who said his daughter has an EV, and she had a 70 amp outlet installed. I never heard of this before. Should I buy bigger wire so I can run 70amps?

Next question, where should the outlet be for an EV? Front of the vehicle, or the back?

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #2  
I'm seeing recommendations about for 50A, but if you're trying to future-proof I'd install wiring at least a couple sizes bigger.
Maybe just run the wires to a box with a full cover, don't bother with a plug which may need to be swapped out later.
For that matter, you could even leave out the breaker for now, just have the wires capped in the panel with a tag on them, run through the wall. The savings on the "just guessing the size" on the breaker & plug should pay for extra copper and then whoever actually installs the charger can pick exactly what's needed.

Considering how long a car may be plugged in for that, I'd try to set up the garage subpanel has 100A, too.

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #3  
Eddie, charging those things isn't magic. For the fast chargers it probably takes at least a 70 amp circuit if not more. I think the slow chargers can be run from a 120 V outlet.

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #4  
I recently went through the same thinking and just went with 50A figuring that'd be enough to charge anything overnight. I'd probably not be looking for a super fast charge at home. 50A is also usable for the welder.

The charge ports are currently toward the back but thats easily changed by model.

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #6  
depends on a lot of factors like type of battery in your vehicle, how fast you want it to charge etc.... but...

on my F150 with an extended range battery from empty:

15a breaker @ 120v is a level 1 charger, slow, will take about 80hrs to charge my extended range battery on F150

40a breaker @ 240v is considered a level 2 charger but on the slower side, same truck, about 16 hrs

80a breaker @ 240v is also a level 2 charger and what is considered the big one, about 8hrs

most level 2 charges (240v) you buy are switchable to match what size breaker is being used.

level 3 chargers (like the Tesla super chargers) are much much faster and considered DC chargers not something I would think any homeowner would every foot the bill for. Cost for these are $200 or more depending on your access to the grid.

don't forget if you are looking into the future you may want to plumb for more than one charger as most of us have more than 1 vehicle in our garages and you don't want fights on who gets to charge overnight and who wakes up in the morning empty and cold. Although you being in Texas I doubt heating your interior is a concern but battery will use power keeping batteries cool if left in the sun and hot.

some of the smaller cars (also the cheaper ones) would could charge 2x as fast as their battery size is probably much less but no first hand experience to share.

edit: My charger was configurable @240v for as little as 20a up to 80a configured at time of installation.

Last edited:
   / How many Amps to charge an EV? #7  
Is it better to have the charging station outside, away from the garage and house in case of fire? Jon

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #8  
Can you swing a 100amp sub panel?

Compressor, welder, chargers???

If cost a factor maybe just foresight in sizing conduit?

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #9  
I would plan on at least one 80A circuit. While there are some Level 2 chargers can do 20kW, (83A, aka more than 100A breaker), most cars and trucks will get a full charge on 60A overnight, and not every car can take in 20kW. The second question would be what are the chance you might be using two EVs? (X2 on the 80A circuits...)

Put another way, what is the likelihood that you and your wife would routinely both drive more than 250 miles in day?

All the best,

Peter

/ How many Amps to charge an EV? #10  
Can you swing a 100amp sub panel?

Compressor, welder, chargers???

If cost a factor maybe just foresight in sizing conduit?

one 100amp breaker for each ev vehicle you own is what Ford recommends for their F150 charger.