How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best..

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #61  
This is a quote I got for the pole building I had put up in 2019 in SE Pennsylvania. This is an open bay (no poles in the middle) that used attic trusses (10ft ceilings), and gave me a 14x36 upstairs that I use as an office. I added power, water and then poured the floor, so after insulating, adding a heater and sheetrock, it's probably $75k+ range. Couldn't be happier w/ it.

Building
Dimensions: 30'W x 36'L x 10'4"H
4 x 6 poles .60 treated, poles 8' on center
Siding: 28 Gauge Frontier Panel 50 Year Warranty
Roofing: 27 Gauge Frontier Panel 50 Year Warranty
30' Attic Trusses, 2' on center, snow load by code and design

Openings
(2) 9 x 8 Residential Classic Raised Short Panel Insulated,15" track, Placement:gable
(1) Entry Door 3068 inswing 6-panel RH Fiberglass Insulated PRIMED

Overhangs
Eaves Overhang: Flush, Gables Overhang: Flush
Miscellaneous
Attic Floor 3/4" T&G
(1) Stairs 8' to 10' high
2 x 6 Skirtboard .60 Treated with barrier tape

Total for building erected on your level, compacted site: $26,722

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #62  
After several hurricanes and the problem with modern treated wood rotting quickly in our local soil, I have went to all metal buildings. Have bought 3 from Mueller as a kit. 18x20 wood floor fully enclosed, 30x40x12 shop
concrete floor with 30x40 attached carport roof and a 12x24 loafing shed dirt floor. Erected them ourselves.
We live in southeast texas 5 miles from the saltwater line and unless you find bridging Timbers the treated wood rots at the soil line within a few years. The loafing shed is all galvanized.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #63  
My preference is to build with galvanized steel. Nothing eats it, it won't burn, won't rot, won't warp. Light gauge steel is easy to work with, all you really need is a screw gun and a cutoff saw. Goes up quickly, quietly (no hammering) and very little waste. Once you are done, you are done, no constant repainting, checking for termites, bugs or mice, no warps, no sags, no decayed areas and so forth. Strong, easy to modify, if you do it right, it laughs at the weather. Get a Simpson Strong Tie catalog (free downloads) for some ideas on how to make connections and joints, learning to put in the screws takes 15 minutes, you have to develop the touch to take off the pressure just before the screw is all the way in, or it will strip out. Make sure you find and pick up ALL the screws you dropped, your tires will thank you. Steel is also 100% recyclable, your structure probably has some of grandpa's Buick in it.

Google is your friend, "DIY light gauge steel framing" etc.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #64  
If you plan to pull permits have you spoken to your local building department about your plans? If you are going to build without permits or inspections you still need to follow what the local requirements are since mom nature doesn't care if you got a permit or not.

I would be surprised if the local codes do not require engineered and stamped plans because of the wind load. If you use trusses they must come with engineered stamps.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #65  
If you want to build a 20 by 40 pole barn, what kind should you build, and what should it cost? Is metal or wood better, and where can you get the materials or is a prefab cost the same considering time and effort...
First you should check to see if you need any permits which might have certain requirements. If you have a building center in your area you most likely will be able to get a print out of the materials you need for your shed. You will be shocked at how much materials went up becouse shortages. If you have not built a pole shed before you will need help setting the post, rafters and installing the metal on the roof and depending on the height of the side walls you will need help for that too.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #66  
Here is current materials only from Menards for a 24x40 with 3 enclosed sides

View attachment 737663
Good post for educational purposes. I was going to suggest Menard's as well. Great online build it yourself planner. Great for seeing the different options and an excellent guide for materials required and their cost.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #67  
Good stuff in this thread. I always enjoy seeing other's pics and ideas.

My only meaningful input is this. There's two things that will "age" equipment. Sunlight and Water. Sunlight is ten times harder on equipment than Water. So if I was building an open sided structure I would want it large enough to create shade from mid morning to sundown.

I have a 15' deep lean-to on the East end of my machine shed. It's almost worthless for Sunlight protection until noon. It's better than nothing.

/ How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #68  
I built a 20x35 barn 4yrs ago for under $ 5,000 by using cedar poles cut from my property, 4x8 wood siding, Concrete footings and pressure treated framing. Last year I added about a $1,000 in solar power. All the construction was done by my wife,my brother, a friend and myself. I made beams from doubled 2x10s and put on a metal roof. My tractor with FEL helped raise the posts an d the 8 4x6 doors .Be sure doors are high enough to allow additional pavement or flooring

Attachments

• 67A6B050-BA1D-4745-98A1-12BAF7ACEDE6.jpeg
    67A6B050-BA1D-4745-98A1-12BAF7ACEDE6.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 96
   / How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #69  
If you want to build a 20 by 40 pole barn, what kind should you build, and what should it cost? Is metal or wood better, and where can you get the materials or is a prefab cost the same considering time and effort...
As an alternative. Did you look at pony wall structures from Clearspan. Look at their steals and deals. I put up a 24x26 with 16 ft of center head. I used 3000 lb cement blocks from leftover mixes from a cement plant but you could use pressure treated posts instead. Very quick to put up. Mine has been up 12 years and no problems. I also when back and added an additional 48’ 5 years after the initial shelter making 60’ long. Total initial cost was $7000 with breathable end panel at one end. The addition cost another $7000. It is used for round Bale hay storage and equipment repairs. That’s a 60x26 barn. Used gravel and Asphalt millings for floor. It stays very dry inside.

Last edited:
   / How much does it cost to build a pole barn and what kind is best.. #70  
Posts in the middle or not. I opted for posts. That saved the expense of trusses and less square footage for roofing materials. My posts are set in a 12'x12' grid, with a 1/12 pitch front to back. I have added some bracing and graveled under it since this was taken. There was some controversy on my framing job on here, so some will probably advise better ways to frame the roof than what you see here. This works well enough for me.

View attachment 737550
I would suggest 5-6' long 2x6 diagonals Bolted to all perimeter posts at the roof line. Nice job.
Low end towards the West?