How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle?

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #11  
I just, two day ago, put a rather complete first aid kit in the Taco Wagon. Takes up the entire storage space at the bottom of the front seat divider. It's there to help anybody in need.

A suggestion MoKelly - Google and read the Good Samaritan law for your state. Sign up for First Aide classes - usually given by or sponsored by local fire departments, insurance companies or hospitals.

Standing around at a serious accident, until Para Medics arrive - with your thumb up your butt - does nobody any good.

Last edited:
   / How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #12  
Gotta love those germans. 1988 bmw 325. first aid kit standard and notice, in german! this is not a grey market car.

i can see the german marketing folks at some meeting discussing the first aid kit........

"Those ignorant americans should read german because we know what's better for them"!

Car also has an integrated tool kit built not underside of trunk lid and.......NO CUP HOLDERS!
9B97E199-1247-434E-91F6-47F9BF53F7AC.jpeg
FDDE91D3-7804-4767-A3C6-34C0EE395C4B.jpeg

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #13  
I carry a store bought first aid kit.

I’d only use it for me or my family.

I would never begin to treat someone else. First, I have no idea if I’d be helping or hurting. Second, the possible liability is significant.

MoKelly
i'd help but. would CMA anyway possible.

I found a ladies wallet at a dog park in portland. it was full of money.

before i ever opened it i got a friend to video the entire process of me opening it, finding the drivers license and counting the $.

I have very little faith in any laws, sad but true. We think laws are laws...lawyers think they are starting points......

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #14  
You better know the law and even more than that —- you better know what you are doing.

IMG_1337.JPG

The first principal of heath care is “do no harm”. If you are not trained (but play one on TV) there is a good chance in a major injury situation you will do harm.

I’m not talking about giving someone a band-aid or a blanket. Or anything in a small drug store first aid kit. That’s easy.

But, would you set a broken arm? Move someone with a neck injury or broken leg or stuck in the car? What would you have done if you were first on scene when Tiger Woods crashed? What if the person is not conscience and cannot give consent (required in many states).

MoKelly

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #15  
I carry a store bought first aid kit.

I’d only use it for me or my family.

I would never begin to treat someone else. First, I have no idea if I’d be helping or hurting. Second, the possible liability is significant.

MoKelly
Looks like everyone has already dogpiled but just one more dog on the pile. Always help.

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #16  
You better know the law and even more than that —- you better know what you are doing.

View attachment 693590

The first principal of heath care is “do no harm”. If you are not trained (but play one on TV) there is a good chance in a major injury situation you will do harm.

I’m not talking about giving someone a band-aid or a blanket. Or anything in a small drug store first aid kit. That’s easy.

But, would you set a broken arm? Move someone with a neck injury or broken leg or stuck in the car? What would you have done if you were first on scene when Tiger Woods crashed? What if the person is not conscience and cannot give consent (required in many states).

MoKelly
Did you read what you posted? It said you could be held liable if you cause ADDITIONAL SIGNIFICANT injury and I'd bet my last dollar that a jury of your peers would have to be convinced you deliberately attempted to cause harm before they found you liable.

So your child is in an over turned car, bleeding from a head wound, 20 miles from the nearest EMS and I show up on scene I guess I'll just call 911 and wait:rolleyes:

I've helped in three wrecks as a normal person and I don't know how many in my previous profession (not EMS) in addition to conducting CPR in a few instances. I was never wondering "am I going to be liable if they die"? That's a life, limb or eyesight issue. Call me crazy I guess.

Last edited:
   / How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #17  
Gotta love those germans. 1988 bmw 325. first aid kit standard and notice, in german! this is not a grey market car.

i can see the german marketing folks at some meeting discussing the first aid kit........

"Those ignorant americans should read german because we know what's better for them"!

Car also has an integrated tool kit built not underside of trunk lid and.......NO CUP HOLDERS!View attachment 693574View attachment 693575
That's actually a most of the way okay kit for a car wreck. Notice no bandaids or pain meds, that's a different box all together. I'd throw a set of EMT sheers in there and you'd probably be good for most likely scenarios.

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #18  
So getting around to the OP's question.

I think they should be mandatory for anyone driving around...and the training in how to stop major bleeding and stabilize for injury/shock. You should also have an extinguisher and an extraction tool or plan for how to break through a vehicle window.

Probably driven by my personal experience, the kits I carry don't care if you have a splinter or headache I'm only focused on keeping you alive until EMS gets there. My kit is comprised of tourniquets, gauze, pressure dressings, airways, samsplints, tape, and sheers for the smallest one in my motorcycle. They grow from there with my wife's being slightly larger but generally the same contents (space blankets, other bits and bobs, and more quantity). I have two trucks and the one I spend the most time has a very robust kit I probably have enough for 3-6 trauma patients which translates to more than one person could apply and monitor.

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #19  
I used to carry all of the things listed by various posters above, and more. One day I was talking to a relative who was a helicopter paramedic for 20+ years before he got promoted, and my kit is based on what he told me that I needed. The difference what I had and what I have is that it's now easily transferable from truck to truck, to my ATV or snowsled, and into my vest when I leave all of the above and head into the woods. I also carry a Garmin Inreach.
Another tourniquet and tube of blotclotting powder is kept in the pocket of my chain saw chaps.

/ How much is important to have first aid kits in Vehicle? #20  
I used to carry all of the things listed by various posters above, and more. One day I was talking to a relative who was a helicopter paramedic for 20+ years before he got promoted, and my kit is based on what he told me that I needed. The difference what I had and what I have is that it's now easily transferable from truck to truck, to my ATV or snowsled, and into my vest when I leave all of the above and head into the woods. I also carry a Garmin Inreach.
Another tourniquet and tube of blotclotting powder is kept in the pocket of my chain saw chaps.
Could you list what you have in your kit? I need to set one up.