How much slope ?

/ How much slope ? #1  

misterzee

Tractor
John Deere 990
I have a JD Compact 990 MFWD with a box blade and loader. I wanted to use it on a steep dirt "driveway". A fwd pickup can navigate, but not sure about the tractor. My tires are not in the best shape.
So a question to you more experienced operators... will the tractor go up this appx 30% slope OK ?

Attachments

• A472F7FD-5F08-4CD5-AFAD-0EF9BFF931D2.jpeg
    A472F7FD-5F08-4CD5-AFAD-0EF9BFF931D2.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
   / How much slope ? #2  
If your truck loses traction you can step on the brakes and ALL 4 wheels will stop you. If your tractor is in 4x2 and one real wheel slips....you have no brakes. In 4x4, at least 1 of the front tires can be stopped. If you do need to stop, drop your loader and 3pt implement....they are your anchors. I have driven on much steeper hills than that. Take your time and study your angle of approach and keep your bucket low.

/ How much slope ? #3  
Keep loader low and make turns slowly. Agree with all ruffdog said.

/ How much slope ? #4  
If it's super steep, back up it with the loader low. That way if the tractor starts to "wheelie" you can keep it from going over. An implement on the back won't keep it from going over backwards- the 3pt arms don't resist force in that direction.

I go up grades steeper than 30% without issue. Make sure you're in 4wd though.

/ How much slope ? #5  
Totally agree - I mow 30% weekly with a 4x4 tractor and cant say I give it any thought at all. Just make sure it is dry so you can get used to it and just leave the machine in 4x4.

/ How much slope ? #6  
Can't tell amount of slope in photos. Adding liquid ballast to rears and adding weight to box blade will provide extra traction. This is how I clean my drainage ditches (B2650, loaded tires + ballast box) Doing this job with a BX and air filled tires prompted my desire for a 2nd tractor.
20200531_152828.jpg

/ How much slope ? #7  
If a pickup can make it up a tractor will handle it with ease.

/ How much slope ? #8  
If it's super steep, back up it with the loader low. That way if the tractor starts to "wheelie" you can keep it from going over. An implement on the back won't keep it from going over backwards- the 3pt arms don't resist force in that direction.

The maximum travel of the 3 point is way less than the past balance point of the tractor. A 3 point implement would definitely help prevent a backflip. The chances of a modern compact tractor doing that are close to zero anyway. The front is too heavy and the wheels are too small.

/ How much slope ?
Thanks Guys! Your input is appreciated. Now I'm ready to get that lot cleaned up.

/ How much slope ? #10  
Is it 30% or 30 degrees?

A 100% slope is 45 degrees.

A 30% slope is only about 16.75 degrees.

A 4:12 roof pitch, which is quite low, is steeper than 30% at 18.43 degrees.

My front wheel drive Impala goes up angles steeper than that.

Always keep your MFWD engaged, go slow, keep your bucket low, and be prepared to push it down, not float it, and drop your rear implement if something would happen. Always wear your seatbelt, keep the ROPS up, etc. You should not have an issue going straight up and down at all.

44478CF9-06C9-41DC-AAD4-14B2A8132A32.png