How much tiller will 2310 handle?

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Hi ALL,
I am thinking about buying a used tiller to hang off the 3ph. I will be using my YM2310. I don't have that much tilling to do so a narrow tiller would be OK. So, would a 4 foot wide tiller be too much for my little tractor? The ground I need to till is basically virgin ground so it is pretty hard. Ostensibly sandy loam but there is enough clay that it gets pretty hard. Once tilled, with some topsoil added, it will get easier of course.
Thanks,
Eric

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #2  
That tractor should run a 4ft tiller fine.

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #3  
Hi ALL,
I am thinking about buying a used tiller to hang off the 3ph. I will be using my YM2310. I don't have that much tilling to do so a narrow tiller would be OK. So, would a 4 foot wide tiller be too much for my little tractor? The ground I need to till is basically virgin ground so it is pretty hard. Ostensibly sandy loam but there is enough clay that it gets pretty hard. Once tilled, with some topsoil added, it will get easier of course.
Thanks,
Eric
Can you first rip up the sod with the rippers on a box blade, or even a potato plow?

As Clemson said that tractor will easily run a 4 ft tiller. For comparison YM2000, a little smaller, had its own dedicated Yanmar tiller 53" 55.1", RS1400. But intended for rice paddy use, so those generally didn't need to break virgin sod.

Just go down in steps, not full depth in the first pass.

Last edited:
   / How much tiller will 2310 handle? #4  
How wide are your back tires? That is, what's the width of your rear tire track. Just get a tiller that covers your rear tires. You'll be able to run it fine and you'll get the best results.

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #5  
I'm headed into the same situation with my 2310 and have been keeping an eye out for a tiller but I intend to get a single Tine subsoiler/ripper for prepping the area first. Ground is just to compacted to attack with a tiller alone.

Titan has one I'm gonna order when back in stock.

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle?
Thanks everyone for those speedy and informative replies. Right now my wheels are set as wide as they can be. I don't really mind if the tiller is not as wide as the tires. I know that would be ideal but this tilling is just going to be a one time deal and I will go over any too compacted areas with the Troy-Bilt Horse. I'm gonna look into renting a tiller too but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to rent one where I live. I do have rippers on my box blade so I will do the ripping first. That was a good suggestion and I hadn't thought of it. I suppose I could do the ripping and then till with the Horse but my wrists are pretty shot, they are both bone on bone joints, and even the Horse makes 'em hurt a lot.
Thanks Again,
Eric

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #7  
With all due respect, you asked "how much tiller will a YM2310 handle". Right?

Answer -- get one to cover your rear wheels.

But your response is that you'd like to use a smaller tiller for various reasons. So how much you can handle isn't really the question.

I don't agree about the subsoiler / ripper thing prior to tilling -- not at all necessary. Two different operations.

If you're planning to hook up a small tiller to the back of your tractor for a one-time job, just go for it.

I'm still curious -- exactly how wide are your back tires? The correct tiller is one that covers your tire tracks.

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #8  
Hi ALL,
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

Did you ever download the - - -

YANMAR YM2310 PARTS MANUAL NPC-1181.pdf

On page-5 it already tells you the maximum capability tillers to use with your model. :)

Here's a hint:
YM2310-TILLERS.JPG

Oh, we can run this thru the Yandex image translator to English to get ...

YM2310-TILLERS-eng.JPG

/ How much tiller will 2310 handle? #9  
Eric,

Did you ever download the - - -

YANMAR YM2310 PARTS MANUAL NPC-1181.pdf

On page-5 it already tells you the maximum capability tillers to use with your model. :)

Here's a hint:
View attachment 715944

Oh, we can run this thru the Yandex image translator to English to get ...

View attachment 715946

Hey, I forgot to add the manuals for those 2 tillers in the last posting.

Here are the OE tillers made by Yanmar for your YM2310. ;)

1633570779310.png

Attachments

• YANMAR TILLER RC1704 RS1504 PARTS MANUAL.pdf
    751.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
   / How much tiller will 2310 handle?
With all due respect, you asked "how much tiller will a YM2310 handle". Right?

Answer -- get one to cover your rear wheels.

But your response is that you'd like to use a smaller tiller for various reasons. So how much you can handle isn't really the question.

I don't agree about the subsoiler / ripper thing prior to tilling -- not at all necessary. Two different operations.

If you're planning to hook up a small tiller to the back of your tractor for a one-time job, just go for it.

I'm still curious -- exactly how wide are your back tires? The correct tiller is one that covers your tire tracks.
I would use a 5 foot wide tiller if the tractor could handle it and if the price was right for a used one. The rear wheel base is about 5 feet but I haven't measured it. If the tractor can only handle a 4 foot wide tiller I am willing to deal with driving over some of the tilled area. I didn't mean to imply I wanted to use a smaller tiller, just that I would be OK with it if necessary. So, if I was able to get a 5 foot wide tiller, you think ripping first is unnecessary? I'm all for just tilling if it will work and not damage my new to me tractor. My only other tractor experience is my Ford 9N that I bought about 20 years ago and have used the piss out of. I bought the Yanmar to replace the Ford. They work differently. I like the Ford. I REALLY like the Yanmar. I don't wanna break it. I'm so glad there is this resource for neophytes like myself.
Thanks,
Eric