How much to top off R22a Freon

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #11  
If your unit is low on freon, the evaporator coil inside the house will freeze up on a cool night and no air will be blowing out of your vents. The number one problem is dirty condenser coil outside. On many units the air blows from the inside out so if you look at the coils from the outside they look clean but they are filthy on the inside of the condenser.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon
If your unit is low on freon, the evaporator coil inside the house will freeze up on a cool night and no air will be blowing out of your vents. The number one problem is dirty condenser coil outside. On many units the air blows from the inside out so if you look at the coils from the outside they look clean but they are filthy on the inside of the condenser.

It doesn't ice up, which is part of my confusion. I've hosed the condenser coils off several times, and didn't get much if any dirt. Should I try some "simple green" type mild cleaner?

The reason I jumped to low freon conclusion was that the return/suction line was barely cold. But I guess if it's no exchanging the heat it wouldn't be cold

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #13  
The high side line going in should be warm but not real hot coming out of the condenser. If it is too hot, it indicates that the condenser coil is dirty or that the condenser fan motor is malfunctioning.

Many package units have floor vents for the return air and this allows a lot of dirt to get on the evaporator coil. Make sure this coil is clean on the side the air goes in.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #14  
FYI ---We just had our Summer service and inspection on our two heat pumps....the tech told me that in 2015 no more of the old Freon will be manufactured...and what is currently in stock is all there will ever be , consequently prices for that old type Freon will skyrocket out of sight...He said to fill our 4 Ton unit with freon could run $900...So obviously all of us with the older freon units are looking a choice of buy the new one or throwing good money after bad adding freon which will continue to escalate in price until it is not available at all...Just passing on the bad news....Our units are only 9 yrs. old.

The high side line going in should be warm but not real hot coming out of the condenser. If it is too hot, it indicates that the condenser coil is dirty or that the condenser fan motor is malfunctioning.

Many package units have floor vents for the return air and this allows a lot of dirt to get on the evaporator coil. Make sure this coil is clean on the side the air goes in.

Will do. The small/high pleasure was hot; not hot-hot, but enough to make you yank your hand back on reflex. Gonna open it all up tonight. I clean the condenser fins, but didn't do anything with where the supply air comes in. So fingers crossed that's it.

Had a guy come out. $70 service call plus $35/# for 2 lbs R22. His advice was if it lasts for a few months get some leak stop and put that in, says it's about $60/can online. Said it works on small slow leaks, but is a waste on serious leaks. He took $20 off because I paid cash, and ***** didn't get his share :)

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #17  
In the 38 years I was an A/C technician, I never saw leak stop work in a sealed system air conditioner. It can sometimes work in a car air conditioner when the compressor seal is leaking and it will expand it stopping the leak.

Of course, I could be wrong, I was once. :laughing:

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #18  
In the 38 years I was an A/C technician, I never saw leak stop work in a sealed system air conditioner. It can sometimes work in a car air conditioner when the compressor seal is leaking and it will expand it stopping the leak. Of course, I could be wrong, I was once. :laughing:

I agree.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #19  
Had a guy come out. $70 service call plus $35/# for 2 lbs R22. His advice was if it lasts for a few months get some leak stop and put that in, says it's about $60/can online. Said it works on small slow leaks, but is a waste on serious leaks. He took $20 off because I paid cash, and ***** didn't get his share :)

Unless I missed it. what is the age of the unit ? I would pull the top off the unit, spay it down with coil cleaner, from the inside out, let it sit for a few min. then, spray it with water from the inside out. Put the unit back together , let it run for a while and put an amp meter on the unit and check the RLA . Compare the RLA on the rating plate to the amps on your meter. If the hot gas line is real hot. you have problems, and it's not low refrigerant . At some point R22 will get so expensive that, it will cost less to replace the unit.. I remember when R12 went to $1500.00 per jug.

I bought it used 3 years ago; but it's 13 SEER, so it can't be that old. I tried clean the coils... don't know the terms; but the exterior fins, and the ones that cool the air. If it works for a year or two good. If not I'll have more serious pondering to do. If it leaks out quickly then I'm stuck either replacing the unit, or putting 80 ounces of propane in... what I'm not going to do is drop $300+ into a $600 unit. I have done some reading on it, and it seems like the risk is just is not that high compared to cost savings.