How much to top off R22a Freon

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #21  
Propane ?? that's a new 1 on me. There isn't a drop in / top off replacement for R22. If you don't care what happens to the unit adding propane, go for it. Being in the business, I can't take the risk... plain old water just won't do a good cleaning on the condenser coil. you need a good coil cleaner. Like I said check the RLA with an amp meter . The unit should be pulling around 80% of the rating plate RLA. Good luck

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #22  
Only a fool would put propane in a AC unit. Many reasons why not to but # 1 being split unit or package it can pump propane into your house. Something will probably go BOOM in a bad way.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #23  
Do not use Simple Green on aluminum.
It is corrosive to aluminum. There is an aviation version of simple green that is ok for al use.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon
Only a fool would put propane in a AC unit. Many reasons why not to but # 1 being split unit or package it can pump propane into your house. Something will probably go BOOM in a bad way.

It holds less than 5#; so not a bomb; it's not my preferred option; but R22A is simply a pine scented propane; and forgetting legal problems, supposedly works. I highly doubt it's worse than arc welding next to oxygen tank, and diesel.

I'm hoping the R22 holds for a good long while, if it does, no need to try anything expensive or crazy. But between crazy and expensive; I tend too at least Try crazy before jumping to expensive.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #25  
R22A is simply a pine scented propane
With 30 + years in the business....I have to disagree with you on that statement.. If you want something close to R22 use some 407C. Of course, all the engineers, chemist , with the refrigerant & A/C manufactures warn against mixing any of the Refrigerants.. Once mixed you have a blend. will these conjured up blends mix with the oil ?? Probably not. Hey, do as you like,, You don't have much invested if it craps out ;)

Last edited:
   / How much to top off R22a Freon #26  
Its a large problem in the automotive world. People buy this " Replacement Freon " on E bay. Once you suck it into your recycler its junk. US Army bought a lot of freon from local suppliers in Afghanistan and now estimate that 25 % of there fleet is now contaminated mostly with propane. They have a nation wide check on every vehicle they have. Wonder what that will cost ?

UNDERHOOD - SERVICE REPAIR
Search Autoparts/Motorage/Underhood-service-repair/
A TALE OF COUNTERFEITS AND CONTAMINANTS
By: Pete Meier
Thursday, May 1, 2014 - 07:00

This newest model of identifier can work on R1234yf and R134a systems. Photo: Neutronics

Motor Age Magazine Want more ? Enjoy a free subscription to Motor Age magazine to get the latest news in service repair. Click here to start you subscription today.
Pass all the ASE tests for 30% less!

ENTER CODE : ART30 AT CHECKOUT

Back in March 2011, Auto A/C Reporter (AAR), a respected publication serving the automotive air conditioning industry in Europe, reported the discovery of severely contaminated R134a in several locations across the European Union. The magazine reported that these containers contained large quantities of R40 and R22, and there had been instances of severe system damage as a result of the use of these contaminated sources. About the same time, it was found that hundreds, if not thousands, of international refrigerated shipping containers had been serviced with the same formulation of counterfeit refrigerant.

Inside those containers, a bomb was brewing.

R40 is more properly known as methyl chloride. Any material can be used as a refrigerant if you can manipulate its pressures accordingly, and any material considered for use as such is assigned an 霑* designation. The problem with using this particular gas in any modern refrigeration unit be it a shipping, automotive or aerospace application is that it doesn� play well with the aluminum found in most of these systems. When it interacts with aluminum, it forms a third compound called trimethylaluminum (TMA) that is 闖毓rophoric which means that it is a flammable liquid and vapor that ignites in contact with air.

Kind of like the contact with air you might see in a leaking system, or when connecting your service equipment.

U.S. Army issues alert

As the evidence grew that the use of R40 in formulating counterfeit refrigerants was not limited to a particular geographical area, the U.S. Department of the Army issued a G4 All Army Action (ALARACT) message titled é®*姉unterfeit R-134A of 021415MAR12, highlighting the discovery and potential dangers of R40 present in these counterfeit supplies.

Andrew Schultz, lead engineer of Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center逞エ (TARDEC逞エ) Power Lab, told Motor Age, èž»é°*en we became aware of the news about counterfeit refrigerant problems, we surveyed our vehicles at various locations. This revealed that we had contaminated refrigerant in our [ground] vehicles.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #27  
It's late June and you live down South, and I think I read that your wife is pregnant? Just call a reputable service guy and repair or replace it. I'd give up indoor plumbing before AC.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon
It's late June and you live down South, and I think I read that your wife is pregnant? Just call a reputable service guy and repair or replace it. I'd give up indoor plumbing before AC.

I did. They added 2# R22, and said if it holds for 6+ months consider adding leak stop, but if it doesn't hold, basically SOL. He said this type tend to develop leaks in the cooling coil. And there not really repairable if it's in there.

And yep, wife has a bun in the oven, do in September.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #29  
I did. They added 2# R22, and said if it holds for 6+ months consider adding leak stop, but if it doesn't hold, basically SOL. He said this type tend to develop leaks in the cooling coil. And there not really repairable if it's in there.

And yep, wife has a bun in the oven, do in September.

Congrads on having 1 in the oven. With a statement like that ''this type tend to leak'' and knows it's not repairable if it does leak there,,,, B-4 he has seen the leak, tells me you need to call someone else next time. Several yrs ago, all types, (brands I assume he's talking about) had evap coil problems. I repaired several that were out of warranty.

/ How much to top off R22a Freon #30  
Congrads on having 1 in the oven. With a statement like that ''this type tend to leak'' and knows it's not repairable if it does leak there,,,, B-4 he has seen the leak, tells me you need to call someone else next time. Several yrs ago, all types, (brands I assume he's talking about) had evap coil problems. I repaired several that were out of warranty.

Although you're correct that the coils are you repairable, it sucks to try such repair in my opinion. You fix one elbow and next starts to leak. With proper nitrogen pressure test and vacuum time (costs) I don't recommend fixing coils, you'll be chasing your tail all day unless its an obvious leak. Now if the leak is found at the field connections (installer brazed connection) it may be worth doing. Another common area for slow leaks is the schrader valves. Two fixes for that. First change them with live exchange tool, next is use "snot", an HFC compatible thread sealant on the schrader caps. BTW I change $2/ounce.