How not to grade a driveway

/ How not to grade a driveway #1  

DMW

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
Watched a YouTube video of a couple grading their new driveway. I knew it was going to be bad when the opening scene is them manually raking gravel,with a Kioti with FEL and box blade sitting in the background. They were trying , but just didn't have a clue, taking advice from the internet. I watched, and just shook my head.
Grading our Gravel Driveway: Box Blade vs.Weighted Tailgate Drag - YouTube

/ How not to grade a driveway #2  
Watched a YouTube video of a couple grading their new driveway. I knew it was going to be bad when the opening scene is them manually raking gravel,with a Kioti with FEL and box blade sitting in the background. They were trying , but just didn't have a clue, taking advice from the internet. I watched, and just shook my head.
Grading our Gravel Driveway: Box Blade vs.Weighted Tailgate Drag - YouTube
I got a little ways into it. I didn't have the heart to comment on their channel but the first thing that bothered me was his FEL above his head for no reason. And raking to move the gravel with the equipment at hand. :mur:

Hate to be snarky here but I kind of think he should stick to bicycling by the looks of his attire.

/ How not to grade a driveway #3  
That manual shoveling and raking was sure strange. But I thought his weighted drag worked ok! Just takes practice; you can tell they are new to heavy equipment. Nice looking property though.

/ How not to grade a driveway #4  
To do a decent job of grading the tractor needs to be on a level surface.

One solution is to grade in reverse, yeah not pleasant, but it works.
That blade need a flat reference otherwise every small bump or dip gets amplified.

The other proven solution is a drag, preferably one that uses 3 blades.
If U weld a drag is a simple cost effective solution.

/ How not to grade a driveway #5  
Just back drag with the FEL in float. Takes a little practice but pretty easy.

/ How not to grade a driveway #6  
They did have to install Geocell in some of the steep grades because of runoff so he had to be careful of digging into that gridwork with the box blade. The material they are using is very loose then with rain, it packs in hard. He did say the box blade then works better after it firms up. Yes, they are newbies, but they are getting the job done and learning in the process. I have used drags like his weighted one. It works better to have the chains connected to the 3pt so you can adjust how aggressive it cuts in the front. It looks much better than what they started with. :thumbsup:

/ How not to grade a driveway #7  
Yeah, I skipped though it quickly. I cannot fault someone who is trying and does not have much experience. They are doing their best with what they have, know, and think they know. Some driveways can be tricky, especially if you have never worked one before.

/ How not to grade a driveway #8  
Yeah, I skipped though it quickly. I cannot fault someone who is trying and does not have much experience. They are doing their best with what they have, know, and think they know. Some driveways can be tricky, especially if you have never worked one before.

Here is the video of them installing the Geocell and the type of gravel they used. They never pretend to be experts but they work through their problems just like I do. All we can do is try and they video their successes and failures. I'm glad my wife doesn't like using the camera!

Putting Down Gravel Driveway Using Geocell. Our Solution for Long Steep Slope. - YouTube

/ How not to grade a driveway #9  
I'm thinking a land plane would be a better option.

/ How not to grade a driveway #10  
I'm thinking a land plane would be a better option.

They would NEVER figure out how to build, and maintain a crown, with a land plane.
They won't be able to do a crown with a box blade either.
They have a lot to learn........maybe 10+ more years???