How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT?

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I have an aversion to getting rolled over by my own pickup, so tend to use the brake on any type of slope... especially if I'm going to be standing downhill from it, such as when watering my garden from the 55 gallon drums. I've had discussions with two of my younger coworkers in the past few days who don't realize how insignificant that little parking pawl is.
Before I even started driving, I once found myself chasing a car down a hill because the parking gear didn't engage... stopping it just before it went into a small pond.
I also use it a lot on my hydro tractor; any time that I get off it's two of three things- Brake set, loader grounded, implement grounded.

Also, a brake isn't set unless it will stall or seriously lug the engine when trying to get the vehicle moving.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #2  
I pretty much always set it as well.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #3  
Never when parked in the garage or flat pad at cabin... twice had drums frozen to brake shoes in sub zero weather...

ALWAYS in San Francisco and don't forget to curb your front wheels too or risk getting cited

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #4  
I use the parking brake each and every time that I park. Put vehicle in neutral, set parking brake, release foot brake, put vehicle in park. Even on the steepest of hill, I never have trouble getting out of park.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT?
the Ford which my neighbor was driving tonight has a button on the dash, I could hear the electric motor engaging the brake.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #6  
At first I used the park break on the Kubota. Two times I forgot to release it and drove off about a foot or so. Now I NEVER use. Drop my grapple & rear blade. That holds the tractor just fine. Then again, I have never had to stop on any really steep hills. If I do stop on any grade - angle the grapple down and drive it into the ground. I trust my method a whole lot more than the park break.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #7  
the Ford which my neighbor was driving tonight has a button on the dash, I could hear the electric motor engaging the brake.

My 310 backhoe had one of those. I liked it. It offered the freedom of operating with the seat in any position and it actually worked. It wasn’t like a tractor parking brake where stopping was a suggestion. When it was on the wheels weren’t moving. Rather you were full rpm ahead in 1st gear or getting drug by a d8 dozer the wheels weren’t moving.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #8  
I use the parking brake on auto/pickup a lot around here in Branson Mo. We have two types of ground, there is the UP and the DOWN hill. Same for the Tractor, drop bucket, drop blade/ballast box, and Set parking brake. Kioti had sense enough to make a big fat red light on the dash when the parking brake is set. As said the parking pawl on the average auto is pretty small. Plus if you rely on it to hold you on a hill, it can very difficult to get it to come out of park on a hill with the vehicle weight hanging on it. Far better to set the parking brake first and let vehicle settle Then put the transmission in park.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT?
My 310 backhoe had one of those. I liked it. It offered the freedom of operating with the seat in any position and it actually worked. It wasn’t like a tractor parking brake where stopping was a suggestion. When it was on the wheels weren’t moving. Rather you were full rpm ahead in 1st gear or getting drug by a d8 dozer the wheels weren’t moving.

His was on his pickup, but did the same thing.

I use the parking brake on auto/pickup a lot around here in Branson Mo. We have two types of ground, there is the UP and the DOWN hill. Same for the Tractor, drop bucket, drop blade/ballast box, and Set parking brake. Kioti had sense enough to make a big fat red light on the dash when the parking brake is set. As said the parking pawl on the average auto is pretty small. Plus if you rely on it to hold you on a hill, it can very difficult to get it to come out of park on a hill with the vehicle weight hanging on it. Far better to set the parking brake first and let vehicle settle Then put the transmission in park.

My Kubota has a red light also, plus I set it hard enough so that it tells me when I'm trying to move with the brake set... it redefines "Hydro whine."
OTOH I don't know how many times I've jumped onto my father's 2008 L2800 and driven out of the barn, only to realize that my brother had sort of set the brake. If I'm going to set it, I want it to actually do something.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #10  
My first Kubota a M6800 had a problem getting it set tight enough to prevent my driving off with it set. But that was probably due to almost never had the two pedals connected as it was used heavy in the fields. My B2710 has almost never been set. Any type of load or loader is lowered to ground. I have a F 150 with the electric parking brake and it does hold. Has taken me a few tries before I felt safe trusting it but it holds very well. I believe my releases when placed in gear, sure can not remember having to release it.