How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ?

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ?
Remember that this the fronts first change and doesn't have the benefit of filters or a cooler, so it being darker and dirtier is a given. That said, it looks a little too dark to me, thus my 4wd question.

Problem is that the only way to actually tell if its wearing badly or per-maturely is to pull the axles I believe. Best is to do as @ericm979 suggests and put the recommended gear oil in it, preferably a synthetic with high EP additives, and keep an eye on the oil color.

You also might wanna think about a little more counter weight in on the 3pt to help lighten the front axles load a bit.
I agree, but am reticent to provide what some might call a work around (add more aft weight over the loaded tires). If I'm using the unit out of spec... ie lifting more than its designed to lift, well then there is a conundrum isn't there?

It's an L805 loader designed to be used on the Grand L 3560 chassis. If the specified load bearing capacity of the 3560 is not capable of handling the load specified without blowing out the bearings, then shouldn't the loader be decreased in weight bearing capacity down to a level that would prevent the degradation of the bearings at the stated load?

My L4060 specifies either sudt2 or SAE 80 - SAE 90 gear oil for the front axle.
I guess bringing attention to a potential problem would be of benefit down the road if the axle has issues.

Other than wanting to avoid them, I am not that well versed in the legal issues surrounding warranties.
I hear you... I have never traveled down this road before either... I would prefer to not walk down a dark path in an unknown area with no way to protect myself.

Send a sample to Blackstone labs, that looks unusually dark in my experience.
And they will tell me what? Are they pretty specific? Will they say there is .005% (or some percentage) of a material that's not indicative of normal wear?

Or will they ascertain the specific quantities of differing materials that make up the slurry to show that there is bearing or other material wear?

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #15  
And they will tell me what? Are they pretty specific? Will they say there is .005% (or some percentage) of a material that's not indicative of normal wear?

Or will they ascertain the specific quantities of differing materials that make up the slurry to show that there is bearing or other material wear?
They give you a chemical analysis and an interpretation of the results. So for example, when I sent in transmission fluid from our minivan, they told me it was just showing signs of needing to be changed but I could probably run it another year. They tell you if they find different traces of metals and what that probably means in terms of a bearing or bushing starting to fail. I would say it's well worth the money.

Send a sample to Blackstone labs, that looks unusually dark in my experience.
Got it...

I ordered two test kits, one for the Axel oil, and one for the transmission. Once i get that back I may order another for the engine...

$30/test or $100 for all three.

It's a peace of mind thing with me. If I don't do it and something goes awry outside of the warranty period then shame on me. If I take care of it within the warranty then it protects both my equipment and Kubota. Its a win win for both parties.

They give you a chemical analysis and an interpretation of the results. So for example, when I sent in transmission fluid from our minivan, they told me it was just showing signs of needing to be changed but I could probably run it another year. They tell you if they find different traces of metals and what that probably means in terms of a bearing or bushing starting to fail. I would say it's well worth the money.
Your input here on this is probably one of the most positive and "get it done" bits of feedback I could have received on this. I had no idea there was such a place out there.

I know it won't drive Kubota to do anything until its verified by them, but it does prevent me from not knowing anything here at all.

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #18  
I'd switch the front axle to a compatible gear oil. Gear oil has more anti wear additives. Manufacturers use tractor fluid because it's simpler for them.
Modern high quality hydraulic oils have better shear strength than 80w-90 gear oils.

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #19  
Your input here on this is probably one of the most positive and "get it done" bits of feedback I could have received on this. I had no idea there was such a place out there.

I know it won't drive Kubota to do anything until its verified by them, but it does prevent me from not knowing anything here at all.
There are several oil analysis labs, though Blackstone is the one most commonly known.
I had them do oil analysis on my marine transmissions at every 100 hours, since I suspected a problem was coming.
I headed it off, and replaced both transmissions, rather than risk being stranded in the Bahamas.

Last edited:
   / How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #20  
I agree, but am reticent to provide what some might call a work around (add more aft weight over the loaded tires). If I'm using the unit out of spec... ie lifting more than its designed to lift, well then there is a conundrum isn't there?

It's an L805 loader designed to be used on the Grand L 3560 chassis. If the specified load bearing capacity of the 3560 is not capable of handling the load specified without blowing out the bearings, then shouldn't the loader be decreased in weight bearing capacity down to a level that would prevent the degradation of the bearings at the stated load?

Loader manuals call for counter ballast of some kind, with those that I have seen recommending the 3pt kind first and then adding rear wheel weight as needed.

Yours says 'in the form of 3pt counter weight and rear wheel' then proceeds to say that wheel may not be required with the proper 3pt ballast. While not specifically saying it, as far as I can find, the implication is to use a 3pt ballast.

Having just loaded tires will help with forward tipping of the tractor and traction, but does nothing with helping unload the front axle like having weight out past the rear tires on the 3pt will.

Not saying I disagree with your assertion, but common practice is having some form of 3pt ballast while using the loader.